The great Suunto data cable thread (incl DIY)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Willar:
Jamie had been legally harrassed and threatened by Suunto for patent infringment. I wonder if he has disappeared on accident or on purpose to avoid Suunto lawyers?
Maybe by accident...someone in the industry prhaps gave him some cement fins?

Just seems strange that even if was going to stop making them and yank the site that he wouldn't fill those last few orders. He also hasn't been on this site at all in months.

Plenty of circuit diagrams out there for the interface, i use "Roli" interface and construction took about an hour.

Worth noting i cant get the old serial style interfaces to work with SDM v2 - it seems that only works properly with the USB interface (schematic also online).

Willar:
Jamie had been legally harrassed and threatened by Suunto for patent infringment. I wonder if he has disappeared on accident or on purpose to avoid Suunto lawyers?

Thanks a definite possibility - I just wish I can get my money back. And no ill feelings will be had.

String:
Worth noting i cant get the old serial style interfaces to work with SDM v2 - it seems that only works properly with the USB interface (schematic also online).

Say again? According to Roli's page, the USB interface shouldn't work with SDM 2. Only the old schematic RS-232 interface (requires more parts - lots of diodes, couple of capacitors, other stuff that I'm not really familiar with) works with SDM 2.

String, do you have a working combo of SDM 2 and Roli's USB interface? I'm just trying to piece together the info that I've seen online.
Thanks,

I`ve made lots of the Roli Stinger/Spyder interfaces (for myself & friends), so they all work perfectly. Using both serial or alternatively a USB to Serial adaptor!
I`ve tested it on Stinger, Spyder, Vyper, Mosquito & Cobra. As well as on a desktop, laptop & PDA (note the PDA version needs a few different components).

I currently use SDM 1.6, I can get the interface to work with the newer version 2.17 (i think is the current version, check the Suunto website). But it doesn`t seem so user friendly so I stay with the old version; doesn`t seem to have too many bugs either.

:D James

Packhorse:
I have just built a Roli interface and am having some problems getting it going. I can reset the max depth and load the personal info ( although I cant find where this is displayed on the cobra) but the SDM software will not recognise the cobra when I try to upload the data from it. any ideas anyone?

What SDM version are you using?
I had problems with ver 2.1- it didn't recognize the Vyper when trying to transfer data.

However, right-clicking on the computer icon and choosing "connect to Vyper" skips the "connection wizard" (and the detection stage)- starts to download the data immediately.

Packhorse:
V 2.3.0
I tryed right click on comp icon but no responce. did you mean left click?
I tryed that and it still didnt find device.
I am using a USB-serial adaptor if it makes any diffrence.

Nope. I meant right click, then on the opened menu choose "connect to" and your computer model.

Back
Top Bottom