The great Suunto data cable thread (incl DIY)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jamiei:
Since I also make them, I purchased one from him to see what it was like.

I bought one of these (i.e. the guy from Hong Kong) interfaces off ebay and have had no problems. I have a Mosquito so I can't comment on it's ability to interface to some of the other models mentioned. I bought whatever Serial/USB converter I found at the local computer store and that worked fine as well.

Admittedly, I don't have a personal preference, it was just the first one I came across and it worked fine for me.

PnL:
Anyone care to report on which USB adapters have worked with the serial cable? There's too many adapters out there and some seem to cause conflicts or other problems.

I bought one of Jamie's interfaces to work with my SUUNTO VYPER. Because I have a newer computer, I also bought a Serial to USB interface from www.SEWELLDIRECT.COM It is called a USB to Serial Adaptor. It comes with software and easy instructions. Anyway, it works fine and costs about $18.00

jlayman800:
I bought one of Jamie's interfaces to work with my SUUNTO VYPER. Because I have a newer computer, I also bought a Serial to USB interface from www.SEWELLDIRECT.COM It is called a USB to Serial Adaptor. It comes with software and easy instructions. Anyway, it works fine and costs about $18.00

I bought one from Belkin at Office Depot (Look for them with the PDA accessories) that has worked well with no problems.

Bob J

jamiei:
I only said it "could" be a problem... reason being that the connector only has to move ever so slightly for the small strips on the plug to lose contact with the dive computer since there is no spring action like my design as well as suunto's design uses.

Jamie, I didn't want to bring this public, but I've emailed and phoned you repeatedly over a period of weeks, to no avail.

I ordered a dive computer interface from you on December 15th and am yet to receive it.

I've emailed and called repeatedly, and have had no response from you.

My name is Adam Staines, and I requested that you ship to Stuart Steen (christmas present).

Please contact me asap.

astaines:
Jamie, I didn't want to bring this public, but I've emailed and phoned you repeatedly over a period of weeks, to no avail.

I ordered a dive computer interface from you on December 15th and am yet to receive it.

I've emailed and called repeatedly, and have had no response from you.

My name is Adam Staines, and I requested that you ship to Stuart Steen (christmas present).

Please contact me asap.

I still haven't heard anything. I've tried emailing and calling again. Why do I feel as if this guy has stolen my money?

astaines:
I still haven't heard anything. I've tried emailing and calling again. Why do I feel as if this guy has stolen my money?

I'm in the same boat. I know it sounds awful, but I keep kind of hoping something has happened and Jaime can't reply to anything because I don't think he's a bad guy that trying to rip people off or anything.

You did the same thing - e-mailed, and checked here to see if he's been around.

I wonder how many other ppl he has ripped off?

If you've ordered something from him in the past 45 days then you can dispute the charge with paypal. Unfortunately I left it about a week too long before I realised my mate hadn't received it.

ScubaJason:
I'm in the same boat. I know it sounds awful, but I keep kind of hoping something has happened and Jaime can't reply to anything because I don't think he's a bad guy that trying to rip people off or anything.

You did the same thing - e-mailed, and checked here to see if he's been around.

Blargh...I just got off the phone from Paypal. Because I ordered this more than 45 days ago, they won't even consider my claim. The only way they'll consider it is if they notice a high volume of complaints against Athens Home Solutions.

So all I can say is, if you're in the same boat as me then make sure you file a dispute resolution with Paypal - if you can get in before 45 days then you should get your money back. If it has been longer than that, then all you can hope for is enough people complain.

Same result with Paypal - it's too late to do anything, they'll just notate the account.

I still feel something has happened - this guy is HIGHLY recommended and I don't think he woke up one morning and decided to rip anyone off.

Perhaps we'll never know.

astaines and ScubaJason,

Sorry to hear about your predicament. I must echo Jason's sentiments that something must have happened to Jamie. He had a very good reputation on the 'Board and answered queries quickly. Even those that had nothing to do with his product. I hope he is OK. I would be shocked if this inaction by him is intentional.

I know you have paid for the cables already, but have you thought of making your own now considering that Jamie is not responding? I would encourage you to have a look into it. Building these interfaces is really not that difficult, and the plans are freely available on the Net. It just takes some care when putting it together. Usually, the most difficult part is getting hold of some of the components (Zener diodes and spring contacts). However, these are also available via the Internet from RS Components (amongst others). I have built interfaces for Stingers, Cobras and even an old Suunto Solution Nitrox (different plan to the rest). None of the dive computers have blown up yet!

If you are interested in going the DIY route after all, feel free to PM me. I will give you as much help/tips as I can. I regret the bum deal that you guys have gotten.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Andrew

Back
Top Bottom