The great Suunto data cable thread (incl DIY)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dryglove:
It looks as though his website is no longer active either. http://www.athenshomesolutions.com/ I ordered a interface from him a quite a while back and received excellent service. Makes you wonder what happened???

That's strange! I went to Jamie's site on the same day that the complaints were posted here (the 8th) and it was still up.

Some good news from Roli's site - there is a USB version of the interface available. All the plans, schematics and PCB files are on the site. The only additional component that is needed is a USB-RS232 UART chip (about $7 excl. P&P). Seems to be freely available in "hobby" quantities from the Manufacturer's Web Store. All the details are on Roli's site. With this UART, the interface works seamlessly as another COM port device.

For viewing and printing the PCB files (in Gerber format), download ViewMate from PentaLogix (freeware).

Cheers,

Andrew

Andrew

Have you been able to source the UART chips locally or are you thinking of bringing some into SA?
If so, please let me know your source or get a few extra if possible.

I would like to get hold of two for starters to build and test the USB interface.

I also went to Jamie's website recently (about three days ago it was still up and running).

Cheers

Kobus

SA-Diver:
Andrew
Have you been able to source the UART chips locally or are you thinking of bringing some into SA?

Kobus,

These are not available locally - I have tried to source them. I am toying with the idea of buying a couple from the manufacturer, but I would need enough locals interested in an interface to justify the shipping cost (approx. $35). PM me if you are interested. I will try to drum up some interest amongst the Suunto users down here.

Cheers,

Andrew

ShoalDiverSA:
I know you have paid for the cables already, but have you thought of making your own now considering that Jamie is not responding? I would encourage you to have a look into it. Building these interfaces is really not that difficult, and the plans are freely available on the Net. It just takes some care when putting it together. Usually, the most difficult part is getting hold of some of the components (Zener diodes and spring contacts).

Hi Andrew -- I don't think I'm skilled enough to even consider building anything myself. While I know it's an option, it's not one that I'm personally comfortable doing.

Jamie had been legally harrassed and threatened by Suunto for patent infringment. I wonder if he has disappeared on accident or on purpose to avoid Suunto lawyers?

Just slightly off topic - has anyone tried using a Palm tungsten E (with either PTDive or Aquadive) and have it work?I know it can work with a Palm M130, but I'd rather get a Tunsten E if it will work...

Thanks

Z...

Back
Top Bottom