Suunto API for those that want can out program suunto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

froop:
Did I say Spyder? I meant Stinger.
New version does the same thing. Comes up with the message after only about 2 or 3 seconds, not the 7 sec timeout you mentioned previously.

Well, $@!& wish I knew why. untill I get a shot at more than just what I've got here I don't know how to fix it. That Suunto interface rs232 or USB?

froop:

The rs232 cable seems to be far more sensitive to timing issues than the USB versions.
I only have the one cable and so far I haven't heard from enough of a sample to know what works and what doesn't!.

PLEASE, Folks if you have a Suunto computer and cable give this a test.

OK, I've got this silly thing working with 3 different interface cables - PLEASE, give it a test and let me know.

Okay, success!!
Com port opened successfully.
"GET" worked on:
Computer model (air/guage/nitrox)
Personal data
Serial #
Max depth
Mode (metric)
Byte $24 (3)
Byte $25 (21)
Light Time (10) - not sure if this is settable on the Stinger

Get Dive Data started going okay, then died when it got to 30%

froop:
Okay, success!!
Com port opened successfully.
"GET" worked on:
Computer model (air/guage/nitrox)
Personal data
Serial #
Max depth
Mode (metric)
Byte $24 (3)
Byte $25 (21)
Light Time (10) - not sure if this is settable on the Stinger

Get Dive Data started going okay, then died when it got to 30%

That's Exactly what It's supposed to do. WOOOO HOOOOO!!!!!
Serial Number is not settable nor personal data.
Dive Data should die @ 30% the rest of the routines are still being debugged.

The "Sets" work on all but 'personal info' so you don't need to push buttons on the DC now.

Thanks MUCH.

Try setting light time all it can do is fail to set. that is if you would like the light on more than 10 sec.

Just gave it a shot with my cobra using serial cable and USB adapter.

There are TX and RX flow lights on the USB adapter.

Open Port button results in TX and reply RX, program indicates the interface was not detected.

Confirmed cobra is functioning by downloading with SDM.

I'm sure you already know about this site, but just in case. :wink:

dherbman:
Just gave it a shot with my cobra using serial cable and USB adapter.

I'm sure you already know about this site, but just in case. :wink:

Thanks, The test tells me the timeing is still off a little but things are working.
It seems responce times differ for the various models ( and among individual DCs as well ). What happens is the write is a little slow in switching to Read, so it's losing the first byte or 2 of the computers data. You can't switch it over immediatly though, it needs time to 'digest' the data.

I have that site well bookmarked :wink:

Edited --- that web site is not completely accurate - but the amount of work Markus has done is fantastic!

FWIW, the delay in SDM is set to 32. Could you make the delay user adjustable? I remember having to tweak delay in SDM to get it to read.

dherbman:
FWIW, the delay in SDM is set to 32. Could you make the delay user adjustable? I remember having to tweak delay in SDM to get it to read.

That rather confirms my guess of the problem.
I'd LIKE to make it adjustable, But right now I'm not sure exactly HOW. There are a half dozen or so delays needed to make things talk, Some as long as 1/2 sec. And those delays vary with the job being done. The type of interface seems to have a varying effect with one type takeing different delays for different jobs, But with no logical pattern. It's like suunto has spent Most of their software expertise on how to screw up what is, in essence, a simple thing!! I'm slowly getting a handle on it but it's complicated by having only 2 interfaces, one of which is VERY finiky ( keep those contacts Clean guys and gals!), and one computer.

Back
Top Bottom