SUUNTO computer to Palm pilot upload

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mars2u

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I thought this might be of interest to some on the board. I have successfully been able to trasfer my dive data from my SUUNTO Vytec to my Palm Pilot. This also works for Spyder / Cobra / Vyper / Stinger.
I wanted to be able to look at my profile in remote locations without having to either bring a laptop along or scroll through the menu's on the dive computer. The great part about this is that it actually makes a graph that shows the entire dive. the software is free (yes you read that right) and is pretty easy to set-up. The cabling might be a little cumbersome though. My site has the links for doing this.

If you want to check out my setup:

www.Damirs.com

Hope this helps some folks.

Damir

Damir:

First let me say nice intro to the web site. hehehe :)

So you are just converting Serial from the PC to the Palm. Any idea if this would work with the Aeris Atmos II? I would assume that it would since it is both serial connection to the pc.

let me know.. Thanks.

Hooked4Life once bubbled...
Damir:

First let me say nice intro to the web site. hehehe :)

So you are just converting Serial from the PC to the Palm. Any idea if this would work with the Aeris Atmos II? I would assume that it would since it is both serial connection to the pc.

let me know.. Thanks.

Thanks for the compliment of my web site.

As far as converting serial to serial...yes you are correct. If the Palm you are using originally came packaged with a serial connection cable than you can probably just use a Null modem 9 pin male to 9 pin male. The problem is that the recent palm's come with a USB connection. This indicates that the pinouts are different and will require that you purchase a 9 pin serial cable for the palm and then make a connector since the Null modem serial connector won't work...trust me tried it...although they only cost $2 for a Null modem connector, you can try it yourself.
As far as using the Aeris, there doesn't seem to be a plugin for it as of yet. You can always try to create one and use it with the software if you want to try to do a little programming. If you do, let us know.

Thanks

mars2u once bubbled...

Thanks

Hello

I have a Palm m505 with an USB Sync Cable, and a Cobra with a Serial interface, is it not possible to make a USB-Serial connection instead of that serial-serial connection you have made?

The M505 has both serial and USB. The easiest way to get it to talk to the Suunto is by getting a serial cradle or hotsync lead. You can get these from palm.com or your prefered pc supplier.

The Suunto talks serial and the interface soesn't do much to the signal so it is best to avoid USB if possible.

Mikey99 once bubbled...

Hello

I have a Palm m505 with an USB Sync Cable, and a Cobra with a Serial interface, is it not possible to make a USB-Serial connection instead of that serial-serial connection you have made?

Would a USB to serial DB9 male converter work? I've seen a lot of these on EBay for $10-20. Anyone tried this approach?

Drew Sailbum once bubbled...

Would a USB to serial DB9 male converter work? I've seen a lot of these on EBay for $10-20. Anyone tried this approach?

For now just buy a serial cable for your Palm. It should be cheaper and neater.

I suspect future models of Palm tops will not have true serial ports on them so a work around might be needed then.

Cheers
Nick

To connect a Palm to a Suunto:
http://www.timecities.com/Members/vtoy/PTDive/

:confused:
HEEELP !!!!

I can´t get it to work, i have tried to connect my palm to my dive computer but it simply won´t work

My equipment : Palm m505, Suunto Cobra, original Suunto interface, Serial hotsync cable.

I have tried with the modified null-modem cable and a null modem cable with full handshake but nothing helps?!?

What should i do?

Where can I find the protocol and data stream format that the Aeris uses?

Otter

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom