Suunto Vyper conks out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A much better online retailer is DiveGearExpress. You don’t pay sales tax if you live outside FL and free shipping for this amount of a purchase.

Shearwater is the gold standard for dive computers. They’re made in Canada. US based customer service is excellent. Big colorful screen. Easy to operate.

If you’d prefer another Suunto over Shearwater, I can’t help you. I have three Shearwaters myself: 2 Perdix AI, a Petrel 3 on my rebreather, and several transmitters.
I'm not saying I want another Suunto but want to get a general opinion on the key benefits to the Shearwaters. I think the algorithm for Suunto is too conservative. How conservative are the Shearwaters?

Does it need a screen protector or any other accessories not in the box?

It has a rechargeable battery. How long do these last before need replacement and are they serviceable? What is the out of pocket cost since that will most likely happen after 2 years.

I will check out that dealer. I plan to call several dealers tomorrow to make sure they have it in stock and can ship it in time so I can test it next weekend.

It sounds like its just too old. Can anyone make a recommendation for an advanced recreational (im rescue level) wrist dive computer that is not too conservative, clear display, has a backlight, nitrox support, extensive dive log, intuitive interface, can download data to PC and is under $400. Will the Mares Quad Wrist Computer fit the bill?
Don’t overlook the Deep6 Excursion. It runs a full programable Bullman, and ticks all of your boxes. $350

I'm not saying I want another Suunto but want to get a general opinion on the key benefits to the Shearwaters. I think the algorithm for Suunto is too conservative. How conservative are the Shearwaters?
Pretty much as conservative, or liberal, as you want it. Overall, the Buhlmann algorithm is more conservative than something like DSAT, but can be more liberal than most others. You can make a Shearwater more conservative if you want. The main benefit is that the algorithm is open source, so it's very easy to know what it will do in certain situations. You can use available dive planning apps and plan a series of dives using the same algorithm. You really can't do the same with proprietary algorithms.
Does it need a screen protector or any other accessories not in the box?
Not 100% positive on the Peregrine, but my Perdix came with a screen protector already applied. Pretty sure the Peregrine does as well.

Apart from that, it's pretty much ready to go. Bluetooth dive transfer, so no special cables needed. You can use the included strap, or switch to bungee bands if you desire. On my Perdix, there are dedicated holes for bungee. I believe with the Peregrine you can use the holes for the strap lugs.

I'm noticing different versions of the Peregrine with Adventure and Standard. I don't dry suit dive but is the extra long strap a problem or can it be tucked?

Also how much does it cost to replace a lithium ion battery and is there special care for these Peregrine batteries?

Perhaps a Zoop would be more up your alley and budget.

Don’t overlook the Deep6 Excursion. It runs a full programable Bullman, and ticks all of your boxes. $350
Does it easily download to Subsurface or other logging software now?

Does it easily download to Subsurface or other logging software now?
Im told it does, within the constraints of connecting a bluetooth device through Windoze

Mine is a backup to my Perdix AI (which it tracks perfectly)

Im told it does, within the constraints of connecting a bluetooth device through Windoze

Mine is a backup to my Perdix AI (which it tracks perfectly)

This is actually a great question. I noticed that Shearwater moved to cloud software. I don't want my data in the cloud for privacy reasons and I want full control over my own data.

I am coming off an ancient version of Suunto's Dive Manager software which was a Windows desktop application and it was pretty lousy overall.

How well does Subsurface work with the Peregrine? It shows as a a supported device.

I found the answer the my battery question on Shearwater's web site. The lithium ion battery is expected to last about 5 years and it will need to be sent to Shearwater for $150 replacement fee so you have to factor that into the total cost of ownership if you keep the computer that long. Since I go long periods without diving I usually discharge my batteries to about 50% for long term storage so they don't go into a deep state of discharge. The computers have not been around long enough to be sent in for battery service.

This is actually a great question. I noticed that Shearwater moved to cloud software. I don't want my data in the cloud for privacy reasons and I want full control over my own data.

I am coming off an ancient version of Suunto's Dive Manager software which was a Windows desktop application and it was pretty lousy overall.

How well does Subsurface work with the Peregrine? It shows as a a supported device.
I use Subsurface with my Perdix, and as they share the same firmware, I would expect the Peregrine would work the same.

How well it works depends on how your device handles Bluetooth LE. Some Windows devices have some trouble. My ancient Mac worked OK, but I found it was often easier to use my iPhone.

You can use the desktop version of Subsurface with or without cloud storage. Cloud storage is required if you want to use the mobile App as well as the desktop version. I’m not positive, but I believe the Mobile versions need a cloud account. You can definitely do the desktop as local only.

There is nothing wrong with the computer, I have the same one and it's also 20 years old. It freaked out because the battery was old almost dead. That computer is awesome. I think it's the best one ever made. The new version is also great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom