The great Suunto data cable thread (incl DIY)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone here ever seen this site or tried making their own Suunto computer interface?

DIY Cobra/Vyper/Mosquito Interface

Remembering what I can from my old Heathkit hobbyist days, it doesn't look too difficult judging by the small of number of components. I've never made my own pc board either, but as some of the accompanying photos in the attest, it should be easy enough to jury rig a test board type setup.

I was about to start to make mine and then I saw how cheap they were from SimplyScuba.com, so I bought it instead

Anyway, if you own a Suunto and you dont have it linked to your PC you are missing out big time

I made mine based on the plans from that website. It was pretty easy to do. Cost about $8 in parts. Works fine.

One of the reasons i made one from Roli's plans rather than bought one is that I can now download dive profiles to my Palm computer. The standard Suunto interface wont work with a Palm without a lot of modification.

There is a picture of the Palm software here:
http://www.palmgear.com/software/showsoftware.cfm?sid=63023520020711192324&prodID=41858

Nick - nice job on the Palm software. I'd like to carry that info around on mine. :)

How do sync the info to your Palm though? Did you modify the interface to output directly into the Palm docking station?

Have you ever looked at the possibilty of outputting a file from Dive Manager that could be sync'd over to the Palm?

The roli interface is compatible with the palm serial port. You can make a few modifications so it uses less power (details are on Roli's site). I just made a special lead with a Palm connector on it. You can use the a standard hotsync cable or even the cradle but you will need a gender bender (Male to Female convertor). My interface and lead fits into a v. small waterproof box. Just plug in the Palm and the Suunto and press a button.

Making it compatible with the Suunto Dive Manager is a good idea. I think it would be a bit tricky but I shall have a look this weekend.

Let me know how it goes.

I'd be more than happy to try it and wring it out for you. :)

Marc

I hit the local Radio Shack to start collecting the bits needed to construct the interface. That evening while surfing I found DiveInn.com in Spain (don't know how I've missed it before) who was offering the interface for US$87 shipped. This is about the same price as Simply Scuba, but shipping was only US$9 versus the US$20+ they wanted from Simply Scuba. And this is much cheaper than anyone in North America was selling it for - even on ebay where they been going for US$100-110 of late.

So I ordered it. They say 4 day shipping which will get it here by Saturday - we'll see.

Anyone want to buy a handful of transistors and resistors? :)

Marc

Originally posted by FLL Diver
Anyone want to buy a handful of transistors and resistors?

Make them into an interface and I expect you'll be able to shift them :wink:.

Z

Originally posted by nickjb
Making it compatible with the Suunto Dive Manager is a good idea. I think it would be a bit tricky but I shall have a look this weekend.

Nick - any luck with this?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom