The great Suunto data cable thread (incl DIY)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has anyone used Jamie's interface on OSX, with Virtual PC using a serial to USB adaptor?

I'm already using with XP Pro, but thinking of getting a small iBook for traveling.

Packhorse:
by the way whats up with your mask on your forehead? Do you find this disstressing? LOL

Hah, I figured someone would comment on that eventually. As you can see, I'm in a total panic situation, and risking drowning. :D Actually, it's because the mask is about 8 inches from bottom to top, and slinging it around my neck means I gotta keep my neck bent to avoid breaking my collarbone with my jaw. If I put it down on the diveboat, it's just an opportunity for someone to drop a weight on it or scratch the lens or watch it slide off the swim platform. Nuts to that.

grunzster:
Has anyone used Jamie's interface on OSX, with Virtual PC using a serial to USB adaptor?

I'm already using with XP Pro, but thinking of getting a small iBook for traveling.

If nobody else gets to it before I get mine, I'll give it a shot on my wife's iBook. She comments that she has trouble with USB devices under Virtual PC, though, so who knows how well it'd work.

I guess worst case I can always just copy the database from my PC to the ibook.
I'm really getting the iBook more for traveling since my PC laptop is huge.

Mainly just to run, SDM, VPlanner, and Photoshop.

grunzster:

Yup, works fine with SDM 1, and early versions of SDM 2. The connection wizard in the current version of SDM 2 won't see it, but there's a way around that, mentioned on another thread here about a month ago.

If you don't have a USB adapter yet, I'd recommend getting a Keyspan. People have had very mixed luck with other adapters.

-Mark

maractwin:
Yup, works fine with SDM 1, and early versions of SDM 2. The connection wizard in the current version of SDM 2 won't see it, but there's a way around that, mentioned on another thread here about a month ago.

If you don't have a USB adapter yet, I'd recommend getting a Keyspan. People have had very mixed luck with other adapters.

-Mark

Ooh, is that so? I found out (after much tooth gnashing that I broke something) that it works like a charm in 1.6, but 1.6 has all the charm of a plate of mashed potatoes, and I can't get it to recognize at _all_ in 2.1.3, 2.2.1 or 2.3.0. Unfortunately, my Scubaboard search-** is on the fritz, any idea which thread?

Now, to nick a serial YOST jack from the office and make a convenient case for it.

Eh, it's alright, 1.6 is starting to grow on me. I transferred my quickie wiring job from last night into a nice serial YOST plug shell and heat shrinked the wire joints. Hint for future DIYers: A dremel tool, soldering iron, some tape and a floppy drive power plug make a bang up jack. (Hint: Grind down the side flanges so that it isn't too long for the jack, but leave them alone depth-wise, you'll need it. I snipped ends off of 2 junker power supplies to find this out. You'll end up needing a tape buildup _anyway_, but the less tape you've got hanging off it, the better. Grind the height of it down to expose the pins and bridge 1 with 2, and 3 with 4, sand it level and you've got a jack.)

Win XP SP2
Jamies interface
USB to serial adaptor

Anyone been able to get it to work.

I keep crashing or getting an "Operation timed out (99)" error.

I am about to buy 2 dive computers, a D6 for me and a Mosquito for my wife. But, one thing that really bothers me is the interface cable prices. To make matters worse, if we both want to use SDM, we may need TWO cables.

I figured this hassle is significant enough for me to try to figure out a possible work around.
I have tracekd down Roli's site http://www.geocities.com/scubadiver_roli/english.html which mentions the interface is compatible for Spyder/Stinger and Cobra, Vyper, Vytec, Mosquito, D3 computers. Unfortunately the D6 and D9 wasn't around when this site was last updated.

But, according to this link...
http://www.amazon.com/Suunto-Download-Cobra-Vyper-Vytec/dp/B00099Z5WK/ref=pd_sim_dbs_sg_4_img/002-9102660-4303225
...this cable is suitable for the D6/D9 as well as the Cobra, Vytec etc.

however, this link, does not mention D6/D9 compatibility...
http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-PC-Interface-for-SUUNTO-Vytec-Cobra-Vyper-Mosquito_W0QQitemZ140044135809QQihZ004QQcategoryZ50882QQcmdZViewItem

The interface plug looks a great deal different for D6/D9 compared to the rest, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Amazon link is actually wrong.

What I would like to find out is if I buy 1 cable, can I build or buy and adaptor to make it useable for both computers.
Alternatively, I could build one of the DIY cable for each machine, but I would be keen to know if this has been attempted for a D6/D9 yet.

Finally, I see many online retailers imply that a PC interface comes with the Mosquito. This seems odd, considering it is now one of the least expensive Suunto Computers out there - so, has anyone bought a Mosquito recently, and did it come with the cable?

I am sure I am not alone in feeling Suunto are doing their products a great deal of disservice by making the cable so expensive relative to the cost of manufacture....and don't include the cable in with most Computer purchases.

Having played around with SDM 2.1.3 a few times (without a Dive computer yet), I find that the software seems to be quite quirky and feels like a beta, which is surprising that a) Suunto is one of the world leaders in this field b) their Computers are so expensive; and c) the damn cable is so expensive.
It seems many non-Suunto computers come with PC interface cables....it mystifies me why Suunto are so arrogant with their cables.

Anyway, I am sure I am not the first to consider the DIY cables for D6, and definitely wont be the last....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom