Tank covers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a new/used AL80 that came with a net cover on it and the tank looks brand new after 15 years. It is a pain to put on and off if I don’t open up the cam on my BC far enough. I just got two more tanks, one steel and one Al and the steel likes to slip so I was going to pick a tank net up for it. I don’t have enough diving time , to talk about snags, but I would think that there are a lot of things that can catch and snag on diver’s gear and if something did snag the plastic net, just rip the net and go. A six pack would be harder to open. :eyebrow:

I use tank covers on both my tanks (it seemed logical to protect the surface from gouges and scratches). On the weekend another diver said to get rid of them since they do NOT protect the tank and can "snag" something on a dive (he hinted that REAL divers never use them).

What are peoples thoughts on using protective covers on their tanks.

Thanks gang!

Bob (Toronto)

Your mileage may vary but anyone who hints the "real" divers never use them would be someone I'd ignore entirely. People like that are just asshats trying to make themselves feel better than those around them.

If you like your covers, keep them. If you find that they don't work as advertised or find that you don't like them, remove them.

Steel singles are heavy, slippery, and hardly have enough friction to stay put in the tank bands. A mesh cover solves the problem. I don't see any reason for using covers for doubles or alu singles though.

I have a new/used AL80 that came with a net cover on it and the tank looks brand new after 15 years. It is a pain to put on and off if I don’t open up the cam on my BC far enough. I just got two more tanks, one steel and one Al and the steel likes to slip so I was going to pick a tank net up for it. I don’t have enough diving time , to talk about snags, but I would think that there are a lot of things that can catch and snag on diver’s gear and if something did snag the plastic net, just rip the net and go. A six pack would be harder to open. :eyebrow:

You must be talking about painted steel cylinders (like Fabers) - a galvanized steel cylinder has way more friction.

All the best, James

Or incorrectly threaded or adjusted or not enough breakfast food, cam bands.

The band will snap off the bc before it slips.

Correctly fitted tanks do not slip.

PEOPLE SLIP.

LEARN YOUR EQUIPMENT.

YOU ARE ENTERING A DANGEROUS ENVIRONMENT.

Or take up cribbage.

My tanks dont slip. Thousands of dives no slip. Never slipped.

My Fabers don't slip either.

And while you're at it put some tube on your bands to stop the flap from flapping.

No offense but, I'm glad I don't take my tanks to the LSD where you are. I've got vip stickers on my tanks from the 70's and 80's from shops that have long closed or changed hands. I'd be very upset if someone took them off.:shocked2:

Hard to tell pits/corrosion with a bunch of stickers on them. We follow the PSI/VIP standards so all stickers are to be removed. I have found serious problems under old stickers. If a customer insists no stickers to be removed, I will abide by their request. I really don't see why you want a ton of stickers on a tank from old VIP's. It makes it a pain to fill them when you have to track down the current sticker. To each their own. :idk:

Carolyn:shark2:

I Had mesh protectors and they were more of a pain in the wazoo then a help. It made putting the tank bands on a pain in the rear and when they were wet they tended to slide off the tank if you grasped the tank the wrong way

I really don't see why you want a ton of stickers on a tank from old VIP's. It makes it a pain to fill them when you have to track down the current sticker. To each their own. :idk:

Carolyn:shark2:

Conversation piece, nostalgia. I just point out the lastest sticker to the operator no problem.

When somebody gives you advice about what "real divers" do with thier equipment, just take it with a grain of salt. Then continue to do as you like. The best advice is the stuff that comes with an explanation and a concern. Stay thirsty my friend.

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum but found this thread...

If you Google 'Dive Tank Covers' there are all sorts of great idea's out there...

:)

Happy diving

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom