Tank covers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dhboner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I use tank covers on both my tanks (it seemed logical to protect the surface from gouges and scratches). On the weekend another diver said to get rid of them since they do NOT protect the tank and can "snag" something on a dive (he hinted that REAL divers never use them).

What are peoples thoughts on using protective covers on their tanks.

Thanks gang!

Bob (Toronto)

Take them off.
Then wash them and put them on.

Mesh "protectors" on the other hand are garbage and the Poms used to have string ones that you tied around the tank like a salami then put the boot on that abraded the paint and rusted the tank which was even more garbage.

Last edited:
Well I use a tank cover on one of my single 80's. I have never had a tank cover snag on anything that created a problem. The bigger issue I have found is that you may want to keep your tank looking nice and new; however, your local dive shop and hydro shop won't give a rats @ss about putting scratches on your tank. My nice clean tanks have all come back from hydro with scratches and chips. One guy told me at a LDS that its "just a tank" and its suppose to look used. Don't listen to what other "real" divers are doing with their gear. You take care of your gear the way you want to...

I hate the damn things! They snag on the cambands if they are the plastic net type, they are a bitch to get on and off at vis and hydro time (would not be surprised if the guy that has to take em off and put em on deliberately scratches the tank, and they are a way to soak divers for more money), and even more ridiculous are the wraps. I had two with em on and they sucked. LDs liked the 8 bucks each he charged me for em. I was new and didn't know better. I like mine to look like they actually get used. A lot.

Hmmm. Well, I'd disagree with the "real divers don't use them" assertion - after all, you're a diver, and you're real, and you use them, eh?

I can appreciate the thought of having something to protect the new good looks of a tank. However, caring for an inanimate lump of metal that takes abuse pretty well is beyond my daily effort level, so I don't bother.

And it is indeed true that the mesh tank protectors turn into magnetic snag attractors.

Just use your tanks without the protector mesh stuff. It will be easier to handle, your BC will grip the tank better without it, and you'll enjoy diving more.

All the best, James

PS - If I was really worried about how good my cylinders looked, I'd get a galvanized steel cylinder - with very little care they still look great after years of hard use.

If you like the tank protector, and it works for you, who cares what other people say? I personally have tools and other equipment that I've owned for years, but they look brand new because I take good care of them. I would worry more about the person who is concerned about what all the "real divers" are doing than doing what works best for themselves.

I'm with Jim. I hate them just because they make putting the BC on more difficult. It also means you can't use your 80 to plug the neck of your dry suit if you want to do a pressure test because you suspect a leak.

First thing I did when I got my tank was to make sure to bang it into something, or somehow put a few scratches on it so I was the first one to scratch it :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom