Tank covers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought 4 new tanks, and decided they were too pretty. I tied a rope around the yokes, tied them off to my hitch, and dragged them all the way home :D

I like galvanized exterior for protection. I bought a used tank with a mesh cover. The cover hangs on a nail down cellar. Diving gear is used in a harsh enviroment and should look like its been used.

Fishnet stockings belong on certain women, not tanks :D

Just kidding. Well, sort of.... But, they are your tanks, you can dress them up however you want (snicker).

Put those neon pink fishnets on them, get some pink split fins, and hold your head high. :D

I'm kidding!!!! But I do think they are a pain, for the reasons Jim gave.

Best wishes.

We bought two almost new used tanks that had the mesh on them, so left it there. No problems so far with getting snagged, but strapping them to the BCD is a pain. We just got rid of them, since any time we rent extra tanks they don't have the mesh, and adjusting the cam band when you switch gets old quick!

If you use the mesh, just like boots, just pull them off and rinse the tanks, especially if they are used in saltwater. That will extend the life of your tanks from the outside from corrosion. When we do VIS/VIP's on tanks, we remove all stickers, boots and exterior linings. I haven't had a wrapped tank come in yet. With those, we would more than likely do a very thorough inspection again to make sure no dings etc. I would not take the wrap off unless there was something that needed to be further inspected. Not all shops are that thorough, but it should be done to be sure there are no future issues, especially when I put my number on it as it's inspector.

Carolyn:shark2:

I am another (like Jim) who finds them a right pain when attaching a BC. However I do have an instructor friend who has neoprene sleeves which he puts on his tanks when transporting them and removes for use which do seem to stop his (steel) tanks getting scratched

Steel singles are heavy, slippery, and hardly have enough friction to stay put in the tank bands. A mesh cover solves the problem. I don't see any reason for using covers for doubles or alu singles though.

If you use the mesh, just like boots, just pull them off and rinse the tanks, especially if they are used in saltwater. That will extend the life of your tanks from the outside from corrosion. When we do VIS/VIP's on tanks, we remove all stickers, boots and exterior linings. I haven't had a wrapped tank come in yet. With those, we would more than likely do a very thorough inspection again to make sure no dings etc. I would not take the wrap off unless there was something that needed to be further inspected. Not all shops are that thorough, but it should be done to be sure there are no future issues, especially when I put my number on it as it's inspector.

Carolyn:shark2:

No offense but, I'm glad I don't take my tanks to the LSD where you are. I've got vip stickers on my tanks from the 70's and 80's from shops that have long closed or changed hands. I'd be very upset if someone took them off.:shocked2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom