Hose or No Hose for Transmitters in Restrictions w/ Tanks Removed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Larryjd1

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
In my crease or underwater in Northern California
# of dives
200 - 499
There are certainly other threads with discussions about diving with transmitters on hoses in general or to prevent boat crew handling issues, but I'd like to hear others' thoughts and experiences with transmitters on tanks where you may be removing one or both tanks and traveling with them extended in caves or wrecks.

I have been using a direct downward angled transmitter connection for my cave dives as it seems many do, and I never worried about them taking much abuse. However, I recently completed restriction training and I am rethinking whether a hose provides a bit more “shock absorption” for when one or both tanks are removed and extended and they are more exposed to “incidental contact” in tight places or pushing them in little to no visibility.

I did speak with Richard from Divtronix (who does repair work for Shearwater) about the possible failure types and he felt that while it would be possible to cause an air loss situation after a significant blow to a direct connection, it was more likely that the transmitter would just stop working. His recommendation was to put them on short hoses, which is what I am thinking about doing.

My instructor is not adverse to transmitters, but he prefers SPGs, so didn’t have any real world experience..

For those that have reached this point before me, have you found a particular length that works better than others? Or, if you decided on a direct connect, what were your reasons?

Finally, any other protection tips?

Thanks!

Reactions: OTF
Direct connect. Fewer o-rings, first stage body and neck of cylinder stick out further towards the ceiling or ground than a hose that then sits on the edge of the crown and then the gauge / transmitter that are sitting further and most exposed on the cylinder. Some first stages will have the HP port angled in such a way that a direct transmitter will interfere with a horizontal first stage placement on short neck valves which would then require a hose or a angled first stage. If I was going this route, I'd lean 9" but truly don't find the hose necessary.

I'd be uncomfortable with transmitters on tanks I'm using in any tight restrictions.
The more robust the system, the better.

I'd be uncomfortable with transmitters on tanks I'm using in any tight restrictions.
The more robust the system, the better.

I don't really have a dog in the fight, but I'm curious what makes you less comfortable with transmitters than SPGs.

You've got potentially more o-rings, and a glass face with a SPG setup.

I don't really have a dog in the fight, but I'm curious what makes you less comfortable with transmitters than SPGs.

You've got potentially more o-rings, and a glass face with a SPG setup.
The transmitter sticks out from the reg. If I wanted to use one in a restriction, I'd put it on a hose long enough to snug it down against the tank. Then the vulderable part is just the hose connection to the first stage...so he same as an SPG.

I'm on Team No-Hose. I slipped and dropped a tank from shoulder height on to concrete with my transmitter and first stage attached last year. It dropped right on the first stage. No appreciable damage to anything. I'd say it would be hard to do anything with near that level of force underwater.

As far as robustness goes, over the years, I've had three SPGs give up the ghost, and one transmitter. . .

I'm on Team No-Hose. I slipped and dropped a tank from shoulder height on to concrete with my transmitter and first stage attached last year. It dropped right on the first stage. No appreciable damage to anything. I'd say it would be hard to do anything with near that level of force underwater.

As far as robustness goes, over the years, I've had three SPGs give up the ghost, and one transmitter. . .
Yeah, I've had more SPGs than transmitters fail, but (1) I've had more SPGs and had them longer, (2) I treat my transmitters better, and (3) I don't usually generalize my personal experience to what others might encounter.
For sure, a transmitter sticking out from a first stage is vulnerable. That doesn't mean it WILL fail if banged. But I don't like to plan for the best-case scenario.

Have you ever thought, that in a place where your very life is potentially at danger, you should focus more on awareness and carefullness than on o-rings?

Have you ever thought, that in a place where you life is potentially at danger, you should focus more on awareness and carefullness than o-rings?
Why do you think that is not the case? "Focusing more on" does not mean ignoring everything else.

Here is a previous image of what my Swift transmitter looks like on my Apeks DST. I was using buttons for convenience during setup, as they were protected during "normal" dives, but they have now gone away as an exposed point of failure.

Attachments

• Transmitter.jpg
    Transmitter.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 131
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom