Question Dive shop won’t hydro test tanks due to previous hydro test stamp placement?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The guy at the shop said visual and hydro but I’m not sure if it’s going to be a separate sticker.. I’ll let you know when I get the tanks back. I do plan on doing what you mentioned to see if the shop is willing to fill the tanks after-all.
A visual inspection is a required part of the hydro, but I'm not sure it's the same as what you get from a comprehensive VIP inspection.

Can't speak for all the shops out there, but I've seen the local hydro shop do the visual as part of the hydro. It was no where near as comprehensive as a structured visual inspection - basically it was just a quick look inside with a light. Seemed to me to be more of a check the box to get onto the next bottle exercise. Looked for rust or other crap.

Most shops will want evidence of a separate visual inspection (based on my limited observation of the hydro visual, that's reasonable.)

The Visual done by the Hydro Shop is related to the vessel's ability to safely hold pressure, and is required when requalification is done. The Visual done by a Scuba Shop is to validate that it can be used for breathing air.

I would say that the hydro is intended to test and verify the metallurgical integrity of the material and construction of the bottle: expansion within tolerances and contraction when pressure is released (basically testing the elasticity of the bottle materials).

The VIP is more (mostly) an examination of the mechanical condition of the bottle which can be visually verified: absence of damage, absence of conditions that can impair the integrity of the bottle internally: water, oil, slime. But primarily pitting or rust/oxidation damage in the tank, along with examination of the threads under magnification to ensure they still comply with published specs (condition, number of continuous threads appropriate for rated service pressure, absence of cracks, crack vs tool marks in threads, condition of the inside shoulder of the bottle). The tech should sniff what's in it, look at what comes out of it, see if the interior is growing stuff or covered with oily slime. Check that it does not show evidence of excess heat (more of a concern on AL bottles as this thermal threshold is much lower for AL - one reason that repainted tanks are suspect and require further inquiry - powder coating a bottle is likely reason to condemn an aluminum tank), bottle shape or deformity (bow vs bulges), outside corrosion (why all stickers have to come off, or should, all accessories bands/boots must come off (NEVER seen this as part of the hydro visual)). All blistered paint must be scraped off. Scratches/abrasions/gouges - location, size, depth within published allowances. Valve condition is also assessed (thread condition, ease of us (turns freely), has OPR device, OPR device replaced or disk replaced at hydro interval. While these things may touch on safety to the person breathing out of the bottle, to me, these things are much, much more about fill station safety and the safety of the fill station operator.

P.S. - after I wrote all that, I found that Alec seems to be parroting my material.

Probably already seen, but pretty good demonstration/discussion of the VIP process.

A visual inspection is a required part of the hydro, but I'm not sure it's the same as what you get from a comprehensive VIP inspection.

Can't speak for all the shops out there, but I've seen the local hydro shop do the visual as part of the hydro. It was no where near as comprehensive as a structured visual inspection - basically it was just a quick look inside with a light. Seemed to me to be more of a check the box to get onto the next bottle exercise. Looked for rust or other crap.

Most shops will want evidence of a separate visual inspection (based on my limited observation of the hydro visual, that's reasonable.)
Good to know. I didn’t know there was a difference.

I got the results back. One tank passed hydro with 3% elasticity and the other failed due to a gash on the side wall I could barely see but was small and deep. Charged me $45 and disposed of my old, damaged tank! If any of you guys/gals are in the Sacramento, CA area, I’d give MCL hydros a shot! Awesome knowledgeable guys and fairly priced!

Hopefully the one that failed was the one with questionable stamps. FWIW in the future ask for the condemned cylinder back. You can get $20 as scrap metal.

Ha ha ha ha ha and which tank did they condemn ha ha ha ha ha enjoy your diving ha ha ha hab hba

Put a sticker on it

1717833743799.png

ha ha ha ha ha habnha!!!

Dont let those, keep anything

It's much easier to build an arsenal when you have two of something to look at than just one
whether it works or not

Fairdinkum is that's hows it is

The Visual done by a Scuba Shop is to validate that it can be used for breathing air.

So they open him up and put dirty stuff in maybe some skin flecks and nasal hair and for a price tell you it's good

Man oH man, man!

and all the lint and the fluff from the towel you have to throw over you head in order to be able to see anything

I got the results back. One tank passed hydro with 3% elasticity and the other failed due to a gash on the side wall I could barely see but was small and deep. Charged me $45 and disposed of my old, damaged tank! If any of you guys/gals are in the Sacramento, CA area, I’d give MCL hydros a shot! Awesome knowledgeable guys and fairly priced!
Glad that worked out for you - and glad a bad bottle got condemned for a legit reason.

Did it come back with a current VIP sticker too? Got one from a reputable VIP inspection tech if not?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom