Question Dive shop won’t hydro test tanks due to previous hydro test stamp placement?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hope you're not suggesting filing off the phony hydro stamp? That would get the tank condemned.
The hydro shop guy said since the stamp was very superficial, I could sand it off. But then he seemed to quickly change topic which made me wonder… I certainly won’t do that, but made me doubt his competency.

How can you doubt competency when you're the one with the thread and all the questions
with all the dud answers

If I were a particularly astheticsal tank guy I'd get rid of it
and nothing would be compromised or condemned at all

The hydro shop guy said since the stamp was very superficial, I could sand it off. But then he seemed to quickly change topic which made me wonder… I certainly won’t do that, but made me doubt his competency.
Leave the fake stamp alone. Trying to erase it raises more red flags and could be grounds for the tank to fail VIP.

At this point much of the surface disturbance is from the paint being stamped. If one wants to do anything, strip the paint off and repaint it. A couple of coats of paint will likely fill in the marks such that they will be hard to see.

At this point much of the surface disturbance is from the paint being stamped. If one wants to do anything, strip the paint off and repaint it. A couple of coats of paint will likely fill in the marks such that they will be hard to see.
Which will also raise questions from a competent VIP tech. When asked about the repaint "To obscure weird tank stamp marks ..." is not likely a good answer. Better to leave them alone. "15 years ago, when the tank was owned by somebody else, it seems that somebody tried to fake a hydro mark. When I got the tank, I had it hydro tested by a legitimate requalifier to establish it is a good tank - that's his RIN in the middle of the new hydro mark" is a lot better explanation. I don't know why the presence of the old marks is a reason for concern to some.

New test, new mark. Good to go. I'd accept that as part of a VIP inspection any day.

"Oh, I filed off bogus marks I didn't want you to see" is gonna be the end of any inspection at that point.

I know you have your won compressor, but if I were in your shoes, when they come back from hydro, I think I'd have to take them to the hop that turned them away for a fill.

You did say hydro and visual - is that the visual that's part of the hydro or a separate VIP with external sticker?
The guy at the shop said visual and hydro but I’m not sure if it’s going to be a separate sticker.. I’ll let you know when I get the tanks back. I do plan on doing what you mentioned to see if the shop is willing to fill the tanks after-all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom