Question Dive shop won’t hydro test tanks due to previous hydro test stamp placement?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If for some reason you can't get it hydro tested, I wouldn't fill it and keep it around the shop or transport it in a vehicle. Maybe I'm overly cautious and given to wild imagination, but imagine something like this:

You're prudently driving down the highway when some [insert stereotype of dangerous driver] slams into your vehicle. The accident is so bad the tank goes flying out of the vehicle, hits the curb, and becomes a rocket. It ends up crashing into the daycare and takes out 1 teacher and 3 kids. The accident is not your fault, but you were driving with a tank under pressure that wasn't "up to snuff" and I'm not sure a jury would absolve you completely. Not sure what your insurance company would say about it, either.

And there's the very real risk that the tank is flawed, if not from the stamp then from some unknown issue. The vast majority of tanks pass hydro every time. But not all of them. No telling if this is that one tank....

"#" AKA / OKA (Originally Know As) - Octothorpe

My pendant duty is discharged for today ... :cool:
It was around in its current form for several decades before the term octothorpe was coined. It is derived from the abbreviation "lb" for libra punto or "pound weight" which we still use today to indicate a pound. It was once common for abbreviations to be linked with a horizontal crossbar. The following is from 1698 although the crossmarked "lb" first appeared in the 1300s.

lb.jpg

The next step in the evolution was writers coming up with scribbled versions of this symbol much as we do today if we need to handwrite an @ or &. Here's one from Isaac Newton:

lb_newton.jpg

Things get murky from here, but by the 1800s the symbol was appearing in its modern form in merchant accounting ledgers. It was still primarily an abbreviation for pound (weight, not the British currency). But it was sometimes also used as an abbreviation for "number", presumably as a natural extension from using it on lists of bulk goods to lists of individual goods. It finally began to appear in print in technical publications in the early 1900s. Its use in telecommunications began around the same time with the earliest ancestors of the teletype, likely because it was already in common use by merchants and saved one or two characters over "No." for number or "lb" for pound.

It was variously called the pound, number or hash at the time. The term "octothorpe" was invented at Bell Labs, possibly as a joke or as a tribute to Jim Thorpe, and was intended for internal use to avoid confusion over the multiple names of the symbol. Octothorpe was never meant to be used by the public, although it would occasionally get covered by the press on a very slow news day.

If for some reason you can't get it hydro tested, I wouldn't fill it and keep it around the shop or transport it in a vehicle. Maybe I'm overly cautious and given to wild imagination, but imagine something like this:

You're prudently driving down the highway when some [insert stereotype of dangerous driver] slams into your vehicle. The accident is so bad the tank goes flying out of the vehicle, hits the curb, and becomes a rocket. It ends up crashing into the daycare and takes out 1 teacher and 3 kids. The accident is not your fault, but you were driving with a tank under pressure that wasn't "up to snuff" and I'm not sure a jury would absolve you completely. Not sure what your insurance company would say about it, either.

And there's the very real risk that the tank is flawed, if not from the stamp then from some unknown issue. The vast majority of tanks pass hydro every time. But not all of them. No telling if this is that one tank....

I'll bet there's regulations on how to transport tanks. I'll bet none of us follow them.

I'll bet there's regulations on how to transport tanks. I'll bet none of us follow them.
Generally, if only a few, if they're in current hydro, that's it. And hydro is a DoT requirement.

Pressurized, they are considered Hazmat and hauling more than 1000# unrestrained is not really legal. (454 KG for the imperial system challenged). I am guessing that's around 25 bottles. May also need to placard? That I would have to go look up.

Generally, if only a few, if they're in current hydro, that's it. And hydro is a DoT requirement.
Most (all?) states have laws in their respective highway codes that address traveling on public roads with improperly secured loads.

I once stopped a yahoo who thought it was fine to bungee tanks to a roof rack. :oops:

Back
Top Bottom