Question Dive shop won’t hydro test tanks due to previous hydro test stamp placement?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That would be silly. You couldn't see them if they were on the inside.

Subswauent look at the pics and from different angles, there may not be room under the mfg rollmarks without bleeding over the edge...
Here are some pics of the straight edge against the tanks.. the stamps don’t touch the straight edge.. your assessments are welcome 🙏

Attachments

• IMG_2528.jpeg
    IMG_2528.jpeg
    82.9 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_2527.jpeg
    IMG_2527.jpeg
    78.3 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_2526.jpeg
    IMG_2526.jpeg
    75.9 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_2525.jpeg
    IMG_2525.jpeg
    88.8 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2524.jpeg
    IMG_2524.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 74
It's either on the shoulder or on the wall, if it's too low on the shoulder it's on the shoulder where it should be?

?

Here are some pics of the straight edge against the tanks.. the stamps don’t touch the straight edge.. your assessments are welcome 🙏
Take it to a different hydro shop. Hopefully one that knows what they're doing.

None of our assessments are worth anything. At this point, I would take it to be re-qualified. That is the assessment that matters.

That said, I would ask the re-qualifier to do the straight edge assessment while you are there. Thus letting them know you know that the stamps are questionable in both location and validity.

Take it to a different hydro shop. Hopefully one that knows what they're doing.
FWIW it never went to a hydro shop, therein lies part of the problem. It went to a dive shop.

It's either on the shoulder or on the wall, if it's too low on the shoulder it's on the shoulder where it should be?

None of our assessments are worth anything. At this point, I would take it to be re-qualified. That is the assessment that matters.

That said, I would ask the re-qualifier to do the straight edge assessment while you are there. Thus letting them know you know that the stamps are questionable in both location and validity.

FWIW it never went to a hydro shop, therein lies part of the problem. It went to a dive shop.
Very true and good tip on mentioning the straight edge. I’m going to take the tanks directly to the hydro shop to test and see what the experts say. Thanks everyone!

From the placement of the stamp it is not the side wall. Close but OK. Someone trying to do a sly one. Get it tested. We as a hydro facility would have found it curious, but would have tested it.

Bonus points: A few of my cylinders are stamped with a hashtag (well, a pound sign, to those that actually know what to call the marking -"#"). Explain that to me.

"#" AKA / OKA (Originally Know As) - Octothorpe

My pendant duty is discharged for today ... :cool:

EDIT: Per further information (PBS video and @lowwall 's great subsequent post) - NOT originally Octothorp (although before "hashtag" :wink: ) but "pound".

"#" AKA / OKA (Originally Know As) - Octothorpe

My pendant duty is discharged for today ... :cool:
I thought two syllable "hashtag" was verbally chunky when "pound" works. But three? I guess I started out calling it the "tic-tac-toe" sign as a child.

Actually, it took a few phone calls to Luxfer and then Metal Impact (Thunderbird). Nobody knew. Then someone at MI remembered somebody working there that had been there for ages and asked them.

Once upon a time, if they had bottles that came out of the extrusion and crowning that had discolored (darker grey or streaked) appearance they would acid wash the bottle and mark it with an "#". Even old, these bottles seem to have shiney bellies inside.

I thought two syllable "hashtag" was verbally chunky when "pound" works. But three? I guess I started out calling it the "tic-tac-toe" sign as a child.

Actually, it took a few phone calls to Luxfer and then Metal Impact (Thunderbird). Nobody knew. Then someone at MI remembered somebody working there that had been there for ages and asked them.

Once upon a time, if they had bottles that came out of the extrusion and crowning that had discolored (darker grey or streaked) appearance they would acid wash the bottle and mark it with an "#". Even old, these bottles seem to have shiney bellies inside.
Great tracking! Sounds like their use of # precedes "hashtag."

Going above (below :wink: ) and beyond down the rabbit hole ... :rofl3:

From the placement of the stamp it is not the side wall. Close but OK. Someone trying to do a sly one. Get it tested. We as a hydro facility would have found it curious, but would have tested it.
That’s reassuring for sure! Thank you

Back
Top Bottom