Question Dive shop won’t hydro test tanks due to previous hydro test stamp placement?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you have your own compressor, I'd stick it in my truck bed and use it to fill tires or run a booster. If the stamps were below that black rub line, I'd be a little more concerned. The tank doesn't even look like it's been used that much.

If you have your own compressor, I'd stick it in my truck bed and use it to fill tires or run a booster. If the stamps were below that black rub line, I'd be a little more concerned. The tank doesn't even look like it's been used that much.
It hasn’t and in great condition I think. A pity to toss but I guess better safe than sorry.

I would put a straight edge along the side of the cylinder. If the stamping is on the curved portion, it is likely OK. If any part of the straight edge touched the marking, I would call that a candidate for condemnation. Second point: "Illegal" (erroneous) markings are not a reason to condemn. They would be a cause to actually DO a hydro and affix the proper marking.

(The Visual Cylinder Inspection manual (2020, slide #38) from PSI-PCI says to use a straight edge to determine if a stamping encroaches over onto the sidewall. WRT "illegal Markings" it says (2020 version slide 31) regarding wrong/illegal stampings "Do not have the retester stamp out the error; Retester stamps the correct marking above the error"" **IF** someone were to put a tank out that represented that it met certain standards (like DOT 3AL) that did not meet those standards and that was fraudulent it would be cause to condemn, but that is not what you're talking about here. If a tester stamped "VE" out of habit and they had not DONE eddy current test or VE marked a steel bottle... Do the correct test and make the proper mark.

I would test to find if the stamping is indeed on the sidewall - if so, it's done for; if not, I would have it rehydroed. There is NOTHING that says other markings or stampings can't be affixed to the shoulder of the bottle. A shop could very well number their tank for identification purposes and so long as it is reasonable positon and depth, I can't imagine how that would cause a condemnation. heck, "09/09" may have just been a radio message signal report. Or maybe the former owner had 9 bottles and this was number 09 of 09. Heck, if it was 7 of 9, I'd call it a keeper.

Actually, it appears to be a blatent attempt to forge a hydro stamp, but if no reliance is to be put on it, how does it compromise a bottle? Again, if it's up on the curved portion of the bottle, I'd take it to a reputable hydro shop. Not necessarily a scuba shop. I find some of them know as much about hydros as I know about male contraception surgery. And you don't want me doing a vasectomy...

We know it's not a valid hydro, so get one if it meets all other specs.

Bonus points: A few of my cylinders are stamped with a hashtag (well, a pound sign, to those that actually know what to call the marking -"#"). Explain that to me.

I would put a straight edge along the side of the cylinder. If the stamping is on the curved portion, it is likely OK. If any part of the straight edge touched the marking, I would call that a candidate for condemnation. Second point: "Illegal" (erroneous) markings are not a reason to condemn. They would be a cause to actually DO a hydro and affix the proper marking.

(The Visual Cylinder Inspection manual (2020, slide #38) from PSI-PCI says to use a straight edge to determine if a stamping encroaches over onto the sidewall. WRT "illegal Markings" it says (2020 version slide 31) regarding wrong/illegal stampings "Do not have the retester stamp out the error; Retester stamps the correct marking above the error"" **IF** someone were to put a tank out that represented that it met certain standards (like DOT 3AL) that did not meet those standards and that was fraudulent it would be cause to condemn, but that is not what you're talking about here. If a tester stamped "VE" out of habit and they had not DONE eddy current test or VE marked a steel bottle... Do the correct test and make the proper mark.

I would test to find if the stamping is indeed on the sidewall - if so, it's done for; if not, I would have it rehydroed. There is NOTHING that says other markings or stampings can't be affixed to the shoulder of the bottle. A shop could very well number their tank for identification purposes and so long as it is reasonable positon and depth, I can't imagine how that would cause a condemnation. heck, "09/09" may have just been a radio message signal report. Or maybe the former owner had 9 bottles and this was number 09 of 09. Heck, if it was 7 of 9, I'd call it a keeper.

Actually, it appears to be a blatent attempt to forge a hydro stamp, but if no reliance is to be put on it, how does it compromise a bottle? Again, if it's up on the curved portion of the bottle, I'd take it to a reputable hydro shop. Not necessarily a scuba shop. I find most of them know as much about hydros as I know about male contraception surgery. And you don't want me doing a vasectomy...

We know it's not a valid hydro, so get one if it meets all other specs.

Bonus points: A few of my cylinders are stamped with a hashtag (well, a pound sign, to those that actually know what to call the marking -"#"). Explain that to me.
Awesome information, thank you. I’ll slap a straight edge as soon as I get home and let y’all know the outcome. There is some hope after all. Thanks for the Visual Cylinder Inspection Manual reference.. so helpful!

I would put a straight edge along the side of the cylinder. If the stamping is on the curved portion, it is likely OK.
Clarification - where teh straight sidewalls start to curve inward to make the shoulder. Everybody probably already knew what I was talking about.

Clarification - where teh straight sidewalls start to curve inward to make the shoulder. Everybody probably already knew what I was talking about.
Yeah, good thing ya didn't say where the sidewall becomes convex so to make the shoulder.

Yeah, good thing ya didn't say where the sidewall becomes convex so to make the shoulder.
That would be silly. You couldn't see them if they were on the inside.

Subsequent look at the pics and from different angles, there may not be room under the mfg rollmarks without bleeding over the edge...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom