Small Tanks Corroding on the AP Valves BCD Commando, anybody has this too?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Eric for engaging with your knowledge. Much appreciated.
BTW, Sco is Scotland. It is the official abbreviation :) . I updated my profile for others that might not know.
Thanks I will give it a go. I need to see what I can get here, but am sure I find something.
To polish could I also use (in your humble opinion) the grit paste I use to polish and settle the valves of a cylinder head?
Yes you could possibly use valve dressing, but just a can of aluminum polish would probably be better.
In Scotland you may still be able to get the good aircraft stripper. Go to a body shop and maybe score a little from them so you don’t have to buy a whole big container.

Aircraft stripper is a type of stripper.
It’s very effective at removing tough two part polyurethane paints. Every time an aircraft needs to be painted the old finish needs to be completely removed for weight reasons, without sanding and upsetting any rivets etc.
IMG_1769.jpeg

Thanks Eric. I have a look for it. I am not sure if mine is coated in two part polyurethane paint, I shall find out.

It is good you have shown us a clarity regarding powdercoating

"All-metal Luxfer 6061 aluminum alloy (L6X®) cylinders—Do not use acidic or caustic paints that may damage the cylinder exterior. You may use any neutral, air-drying or aliphatic, water-based or solvent-based liquid paint that is compatible with aluminum. You may also use neutral, aluminum-compatible powder coatings as long as curing temperatures and exposure times do not exceed those recommended by Luxfer. Please note that different aluminum alloys have different maximum-temperature specifications; for example, for Luxfer 6061-alloy (L6X®) cylinders, the maximum metal temperature must not exceed 350ºF (175ºC). Exposure times at various temperatures vary according to alloy. Please contact Luxfer for time/temperature information about the particular cylinder and alloy that you intend to repaint using powder coatings. Cylinders subjected to temperatures and exposure times exceeding Luxfer recommendations or heated to unknown temperatures must pass hydrostatic tests before being filled or used."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom