Question How to deal with scratched area on steel Faber tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wants2divemore

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
What is the best way to address a 1" diameter scratched area on my Faber steel tanks? (see photo)

I dove several dives where my stainless steel backplate book screws scratched up my tank (I forgot that would happen once I took off my STA and have since replaced them with plastic book screws). I don't really care about the look of the tank, I just don't want it to rust prematurely (the tanks are primarily in fresh water but see salt water several times a year).

Should I wet sand the area then cover with cold galvanizing spray paint, automotive paint and clear coat, or something else?

Attachments

• IMG_2535.JPG
    IMG_2535.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 91
It looks from the photo that you didn't scrape all the way to bare metal, just the white primer, so it shouldn't rust.

If you want to be sure just make sure tanks are stored dry so no oxidization can take place.

I have seen way more extensive scrapes used regularly in saltwater with no issues.

Rekindles a question: are the painted Fabers just paint on bare steel or are they paint over HDG?

Put a sticker on it.

They are epoxy paint over cold galvanizing.

There is little purpose in painting HDG and they charge more for HDG.

Pressed Steel used to (30 years ago) but it made no sense.
We know a lot today we didn’t 30 years ago. Painting over HDG is completely unnecessary and is no longer practiced.

We know a lot today we didn’t 30 years ago. Painting over HDG is completely unnecessary and is no longer practiced.

That's why I said it made no sense.

The marketing department overruled the engineering department.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom