Advice Needed on Newly Acquired Faber Steel Tanks with Unfamiliar Markings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey everybody,

I recently purchased two used Faber steel scuba tanks, and I've run into something interesting with them. Both tanks appear to be identical in size, but the markings on the neck are unlike anything I'm used to here in North Carolina, USA. I suspect they might have UK markings, as they don't have the usual PSI or cubic foot notation that I'm used to. I'm reaching out to the community for help identifying their volume in cubic feet.

I've included photos of the neck inscription. One of the tanks has much clearer inscriptions, as the other looks like it may have been painted, and has a glossier finish. I've also taken a photo of one of one of the tanks next to my Worthington X7-100 and my Faber FX100 to give a sense of its size (the tank in question is the shortest in height).

Thanks to any help you can provide.

Cheers,
Snorkelson

(edit): I see that only 5 image attachments is allowed, so I will include photos of the more clearly inscribed tank, and the size comparison.

Attachments

• IMG_1382.jpg
    IMG_1382.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1383.jpg
    IMG_1383.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1393.jpeg
    IMG_1393.jpeg
    65.1 KB · Views: 74
12.2 liters volume x 232 bar = 2830 liters

2830 l / 28.3 (liters in a cubic foot) = 100 cubic feet

They are 100cf steel tanks with metric M25x2 threads. If you need to replace the valves at some point, make sure you get ones for those threads. You may have to order from Europe.

The bigger problem is that without the DOT markings, you can't get these commercially filled, transported or hydro tested in the US. Do you have access to a privately run compressor?

Note - it is technically legal for shops to fill the tank while it is still in hydro, but good luck getting one to actually do it.

The stampings say 12.2l, 232 Bars, which means 100 cuft, working pressure 3365 psi.
The stampings also say the valve is metric, M25x2. You should not use a US valve on that tank. Here is what Dive Gear Express says:
Because we located in the United States , we do not sell SCUBA cylinder valves with the metric M25 inlet thread form. We only sell SCUBA valves for use with US DOT cylinders, which all have imperial neck thread forms and are required to incorporate an over pressure relief device not found on M25 valves.​
One important safety caution regarding thread compatibility: The 3/4 NPS (ISO 228) threads most commonly seen on SCUBA cylinders in the US and M25 (BS 3643) threads most commonly seen outside the US (particularly European Union) are very similar but not identical; with the use of excessive force it's possible to mate diving cylinders and valves with these two different forms. However, the mismatched threads eventually separate with dangerously explosive force, often causing injury.​
Added: there is an echo in here...​

2018 Born On Date, so unless there is a new hydro stamp on them, you are in possession of some probably costly wind chimes...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom