Faber Hot dipped galvanized durability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubasharks

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

I am considering buying Faber Hot dipped galvanized HP 100s. I am curious about their durability. There are not a lot of detailed specifics I can find other than galvanized offers superior protection to paint.

I currently have two aluminum 80s that I dont take care of. They live in my car's trunk (I live in a very humid environment) and I never rinse them. They have passed 3 Hydros and even though there is a lot of chipped paint, there is zero rust.

Is the galvanized layer on these tanks protective enough against the same elements as my Aluminum 80s, living in my trunk and not rinsing them? Will it rust or does the galvanized layer be sufficient protection? How about internal rust as well as external rust?

Also I have read and seen pictures (not oof a scuba tank) where the Galvanized layer was peeling off. Anyone experience this? How about chipping of the galvanized layer?

Looking for real world answers, I know its recommended to rinse and store in a cool area etc...

"Tanks" in advance!

I have galvanized hp100's, they are about 10 years old and in great shape, no special love given.

I have galvanized hp100's, they are about 10 years old and in great shape, no special love given.
Thanks, Good to know. I know that its "recommended" to rinse them but I want to know if they would realistically rust if I dont.

I don't think that they'd rust unless you've scratched the galvanized material down to the steel. They do tend to build salt if you don't rinse, especially if you have a boot on. Every few years, if needed, I'll lightly scrub down the salt build up and apply new galvanize to it. You can buy it at Lowes or Home Depot. Now that I'm more aware of it, I don't get the build up like I did when I first bought them because I soak them in my rinse bin for a few minutes and rinse with the hose.

I don't think that they'd rust unless you've scratched the galvanized material down to the steel. They do tend to build salt if you don't rinse, especially if you have a boot on. Every few years, if needed, I'll lightly scrub down the salt build up and apply new galvanize to it. You can buy it at Lowes or Home Depot. Now that I'm more aware of it, I don't get the build up like I did when I first bought them because I soak them in my rinse bin for a few minutes and rinse with the hose.
Great advice, thanks! Did not know you can reapply the galvanized material if it chips.

They'll last decades unless you abuse and neglect them. A quick rinse post dive or when you get home and they're gold. I have new Faber enamel 100s and 80s, and 20 year old galv dipped 80s and 119s. I'd rather have a full fleet of galv since the enamel get scratched by my tank bands and will eventually show corrosion there.

I currently have two aluminum 80s that I dont take care of. They live in my car's trunk (I live in a very humid environment) and I never rinse them. They have passed 3 Hydros and even though there is a lot of chipped paint, there is zero rust.
Um... aluminum doesn't rust...

HDG tanks are simply awesome... not "pretty", but who cares.

Hot dip galvanized is the gold standard here. Actual gold would be more inert but not by much! I never rinse my tanks or weights either, never had any particular problem. They’ll be at least as durable as your old Al80s. “Cold galvanizing” paint is not a substitute for real hot dip but better than nothing, if they’re scratched a bit it’s a good idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom