Shortage of hot dipped galvanized tanks in the US?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow. I wasn't aware of this issue. Looks like we may be heading towards new HDG cylinders no longer being available. I will cherish the 6 HDG HP100s in my inventory even more than before.
Yeah, that is a bummer.

I was able to pick up a couple HDG120s new a couple years ago. When I picked them up, I noticed that the HP100s were painted. Shop owner indicated that he wasn’t sure when they’d get HDG 100s back in.

Glad I picked up 4 older HDG 100s earlier this year. From the sounds of things, I’ll be holding on to them. Pass them down to my daughters when the time comes.

Faber is currently the only source for a DOT/CTC compliant steel SCUBA cylinder in North America. Uncoated steel tanks quickly rust in the presence of water, so all steel tanks are coated with zinc. When a steel tank is galvanized, a zinc metal coating is bonded to the surface of the steel. There are two zinc coating processes for steel tanks: dip galvanizing and spray galvanizing. The hot zinc dipped coating comes from the factory as a shiny silver color that rapidly ages to a mottled gray once exposed to sea water. Steel tanks are also available in a hot zinc sprayed coating that is further protected with an epoxy paint. Compared to the better cosmetic appearance of the epoxy paint finish, the hot dipped galvanized finish is "industrial grade" with noticeable cosmetic imperfections. Although the consensus seems to be that hot-dipped galvanization is preferred for its resistance to scrapes and scratches, some experts believe that environmental concerns about the molten zinc dip vat operation itself outweigh the benefits of hot-dipped galvanization.

As of Fall 2024, both of our US distributors for Faber are informing Dive Gear Express there is a possibility that hot dipped galvanized (HDG) finish cylinders may no longer be available in the near future. Faber outsources the HDG finishing process to a third party in Italy, and there are apparently some issues with the continuation of that relationship with the third party. We being told by our US distributors that Faber is exploring alternative sources for HDG, but the future for availability of the HDG finish is uncertain at this time.

The US distributors are currently out of stock for HDG finish on new HP80's, HP100's and LP85's with the retail channel mostly sold through as well, although there is currently limited new inventory of the larger Faber steel cylinder sizes in HDG (i.e. HP117, HP120, HP133). We are told there is also a small quantity of HDG HP100's in transit to the US, although they are all committed to back orders and neither of the US distributors for Faber are accepting new orders for HDG HP100's or LP85's at this time. Regardless, Faber steel SCUBA cylinders in those popular sizes with a paint over hot spray galvanized finish are currently available and will continue to be available since the painted finish is produced entirely within Faber manufacturing. However, there might be brief shortages of painted finish cylinders as inventory levels are adjusted to adapt to the absence of the HDG finish.

yeah and if you're desperate for a gal finish like I am you can take the paint off

363 038a.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom