Storing Steel Tank outside in hot humidity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubasharks

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was reading tanks should be stored indoors away from humidity to avoid rust, but want to see if that is really necessary.

Would the inside of a Hot Dip Galvanized tank be subject to interior rust if it is stored outdoors in a high humid climate (Florida)?
Could humidity even get inside?

I know the interior of Faber galvanized tanks are lined with something protective different than a galvanized layer. So Im curious if that is a valid point or just someone writing with ultra safe wordage.

I live in the Midwest. Humidity/heat isn’t as bad as FL, but it can get bad. I have Faber HDG tanks that have lived in my car for year round for a couple of years. They’re fine.

You’re worrying too much.

I have the Faber painted tanks, too. Treated same way. They’re fine. Paint has gotten chipped some moving them in and out of my SUV, but that’s it.

Inside of tanks are fine. No problems at annuals VIP.

I live in the Midwest. Humidity/heat isn’t as bad as FL, but it can get bad. I have Faber HDG tanks that have lived in my car for year round for a couple of years. They’re fine.

I have the Faber painted tanks, too. Treated same way. They’re fine. Paint has gotten chipped some moving them in and out of my SUV, but that’s it.

Thanks, glad to know its ok to do.

I was reading tanks should be stored indoors away from humidity to avoid rust, but want to see if that is really necessary.

Would the inside of a Hot Dip Galvanized tank be subject to interior rust if it is stored outdoors in a high humid climate (Florida)?
Could humidity even get inside?

I know the interior of Faber galvanized tanks are lined with something protective different than a galvanized layer. So Im curious if that is a valid point or just someone writing with ultra safe wordage.

Humidity only gets into a tank when being filled (assuming they are never completely emptied). Compressors have filter stacks to remove humidity down to a very low level. So no, storing your tanks outdoors in Florida will not cause them to rust on the inside. Outdoor storage would also not cause them to rust on the exterior either, as long as they have not already begun to rust. I store all of my tanks in our garage ... HDG steels and several aluminum tanks. They are perfectly fine. My tanks are in fantastic shape as I'm pretty anal about rinsing them thoroughly after use in salt water.

Humidity only gets into a tank when being filled (assuming they are never completely emptied). Compressors have filter stacks to remove humidity down to a very low level. So no, storing your tanks outdoors in Florida will not cause them to rust on the inside. Outdoor storage would also not cause them to rust on the exterior either, as long as they have not already begun to rust. I store all of my tanks in our garage ... HDG steels and several aluminum tanks. They are perfectly fine. My tanks are in fantastic shape as I'm pretty anal about rinsing them thoroughly after use in salt water.
Thank you!

If it helps, most Florida dive shops store their large steel bank cylinders outside. Very few of them have space indoors. They typically have them in a fenced-in area just outside of their fill station.

If it helps, most Florida dive shops store their large steel bank cylinders outside. Very few of them have space indoors. They typically have them in a fenced-in area just outside of their fill stati

Part of it is rinsing well after salt water diving for any tank.

Watch your rupture disc in the sun. They are not exact by any means

You dive exclusively in fresh water and have no corrosion issues; that is very reassuring.

I store all my tanks in a hot humid garage and always try to rinse them well after diving in the ocean. I get some corrosion under the boots after several years of hard use.

Back
Top Bottom