Faber gray tank confusion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kasey Kohler

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hey guys, I’m a bit confused I see Faber has 2 different looking Gray tanks.

One has a even color and a glossy coat dive right calls them stealth on their website.

the other one has more of a Matt finish and is very uneven finish which they call hot dip galvanized

What’s the difference between these two? I can’t find any info on fabers website or blue steels.

Thanks,
Kasey.

one is painted and uses their normal finish but has an extra layer of gray paint. The other is hot dip galvanized which is better in every way, especially if you dive salt

one is painted and uses their normal finish but has an extra layer of gray paint. The other is hot dip galvanized which is better in every way, especially if you dive salt

Is the hot dip galvanized heavier then the painted one?

Here's a small data sample.

I use to have a pair of matched tanks. One dipped. One galvanized.

Galvanized held up better on the Rocky shores of the Arctic ocean and 10,000s of miles bouncing around in a stack of tanks.

When sidemounted they felts very similar in weight, I don't think the finish made a meaningful difference.

Cameron

A few years ago at BTS, I had a conversation with the booth bunny at the Faber display. It went like this:

Me: "When will Faber start to galvanize their tanks"?
Him: "We don't plan to. Would you like to know why:?
Me (walking away): "Nope."

I have several painted Fabers and they are a PIA to keep from rusting. I have a bunch of galvanized tanks that require no attention. That Faber now has HDG tanks is wonderful, and IMNSHO long overdue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom