Hose or No Hose for Transmitters in Restrictions w/ Tanks Removed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is a previous image of what my Swift transmitter looks like on my Apeks DST. I was using buttons for convenience during setup, as they were protected during "normal" dives, but they have now gone away as an exposed point of failure.
That's about as protected as it can get! Does it still transmit/receive OK? Agreed on the miniSPG; I use one recreationally for convenience, as you say,, but not on a cave dive.

Why do you think that is not the case? "Focusing more on" does not mean ignoring everything else.
Yeah, you're correct, of course.
Just trying to convey the idea that both solutions are acceptable once sufficient contingency planning and care has taken place.

(3) I don't usually generalize my personal experience to what others might encounter.
LOL. You're a class act. You're generalizing your personal experiences to what others might encounter in your post.

Your opinion is that a hose is better. My opinion is that it isn't. Both of us think we are right. One of us probably is, and apparently only one of us is willing to accept that he might be wrong.

My view and personal experience is that having electronics on the end of a "rope" is going to increase the chance of that device being damaged. I think that adding points of failure to a system is a bad idea.

If you've got some science to back up your view, please present it, but don't go all passive aggressive ad hominem if you don't.

For what it's worth, the 3 SPG's I've had fail were in the time that I've had my transmitters. I don't treat SPGs any worse than I treat transmitters - it's kind of ignorant to do so as both are kind of critical in a cave...

LOL. You're a class act. You're generalizing your personal experiences to what others might encounter in your post.

Your opinion is that a hose is better. My opinion is that it isn't. Both of us think we are right. One of us probably is, and apparently only one of us is willing to accept that he might be wrong.

My view and personal experience is that having electronics on the end of a "rope" is going to increase the chance of that device being damaged. I think that adding points of failure to a system is a bad idea.

If you've got some science to back up your view, please present it, but don't go all passive aggressive ad hominem if you don't.

For what it's worth, the 3 SPG's I've had fail were in the time that I've had my transmitters. I don't treat SPGs any worse than I treat transmitters - it's kind of ignorant to do so as both are kind of critical in a cave...
You are always right. Dive safely.

You are always right. Dive safely.
It's always a pleasure to encounter your passive aggressivity, but if you have some ideas beyond the "fact" that you're right, I'm all ears. But all I've seen is you wanting to be correct, and being generally snarky.

Again, if you've got some facts I'm willing to entertain them, that's why I'm participating in this thread. I don't think I'm the keeper of all knowledge.

Again, as to the OP's question, my reasoning for not having hoses is that I think that the introduction of additional points of failure is counter to what I want on a cave dive.

My view of diving in general is that one should look at each piece of equipment and ask, "Is this necessary?" If the answer is yes, then keep it/use it. If the answer is no, then don't keep/use it.

It's always a pleasure to encounter your passive aggressivity, but if you have some ideas beyond the "fact" that you're right, I'm all ears. But all I've seen is you wanting to be correct, and being generally snarky.

Again, if you've got some facts I'm willing to entertain them, that's why I'm participating in this thread. I don't think I'm the keeper of all knowledge.

Again, as to the OP's question, my reasoning for not having hoses is that I think that the introduction of additional points of failure is counter to what I want on a cave dive.

My view of diving in general is that one should look at each piece of equipment and ask, "Is this necessary?" If the answer is yes, then keep it/use it. If the answer is no, then don't keep/use it.
It is also possible that I do not wish to engage in an argument. I've made my points, you've made yours.

That's about as protected as it can get! Does it still transmit/receive OK?
The Swift is paired with an original style Shearwater transmitter and there have been no comm issues. Well, other than prior to an OW dive where I dropped my Teric about 4 ft onto concrete, which caused a servicing to replace the antenna receiver. Apparently, the transmitters have a similar antenna that will dislodge under "some amount" of blow. And this is where my concern comes from.

I agree that in the direct connect it's pretty streamlined for things going forward or back, but the rigidness of the connection may transfer more of the shock from hitting something up or down. Whereas, on a hose it can dampen the effects of any shock, but may leave
it more exposed if you happen to catch it right between the tank and something - and you have the extra connection points..

This may be a another example of picking which point of failure you prefer to bet on, but I appreciate everyone's thoughts and will also add your "just stick with SPGs" to the mix of transmitter with a hose or not.

I'm in the direct-connect-to-1st-stage camp. EDIT: I have also an SPG at my hip for redundancy.
I briefly had a 6" connector HP hose for my transmitter after thinking about handling by boat crew. The hose failed after <70 dives. While I'm sure it was just some bad hose assembly, I think simple direct connection to the first stage is superior.

I also tend to be 'that guy' on a boat who dives 100cf tanks, and my tank gets relegated to a 'dunce seat' on the floor or strapped in at the stern. Because of that, I offer to set my own gear and crews are frequently thankful. Win win.

I'm in the direct-connect-to-1st-stage camp. EDIT: I have also an SPG at my hip for redundancy.
I briefly had a 6" connector HP hose for my transmitter after thinking about handling by boat crew.

I also tend to be 'that guy' on a boat who dives 100cf tanks, and my tank gets relegated to a 'dunce seat' on the floor or strapped in at the stern. Because of that, I offer to set my own gear and crews are frequently thankful. Win win.

You have an spg on your hip when you sidemount?

What does “that guy” mean? Are you suggesting diving with hp100s is abnormal somehow?

What does any of that have to do with the OP?

You have an spg on your hip when you sidemount?

What does “that guy” mean? Are you suggesting diving with hp100s is abnormal somehow?

What does any of that have to do with the OP?
misread the OP, apologies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom