Six year old Snorkler killed by 13yo boater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Jenny:
I know somebody that was being yanked out of the water towing one of those. Somebody saw the float and thought it was a freebie.
We have been yanked out of the water by Marine Patrol by our flag. I have seen prop wash from jet skis and boats.
Education clearly is the key. No boater safety course is gonna help unless they include what a dive flag is and what it means. Look how much education has helped the manatees.. now if we could get Marine Patrol to protect us like they do the manatees....

My boater safety class did cover it but then Frogman's, as he said, started to skip it :11:

Education is certainly key. Manatees are moving down the list to threatened now all because of education. I mean who hasn't read one of those signs about the manatees here in FL? They are posted everywhere.

http://www.diversdirect.com/item/Inn...at/Flag_ID5082

It is easy to see but in rough seas its a bear to hang on to. you can't pull it under so it yanks yer arm off on large waves. I have the ennertube folat like that, same design but a bit better quality I think. I only use it on calm days otherwise the styrofoam floats are way easyer and less drag to tow around.

Remember when we had that boat drop his anchor between colin and I and you and (I forgot who) at LTBS?

"Yeah, I saw your dive flag, so I cut the motor and came in slow"
-Genius boy

Also, remember Colin's picture of the marine patrol hitting the dive flag?

Scuba_Jenny:
I know somebody that was being yanked out of the water towing one of those. Somebody saw the float and thought it was a freebie.
We have been yanked out of the water by Marine Patrol by our flag. I have seen prop wash from jet skis and boats.
Education clearly is the key. No boater safety course is gonna help unless they include what a dive flag is and what it means. Look how much education has helped the manatees.. now if we could get Marine Patrol to protect us like they do the manatees....

Yep. I remember that quite well, both incidents. I recall poppin to the surface to find a boat anchored between your flag and mine. When I asked the boater if he saw the other flag, he said "Yeah, they are right here near the anchor."
That reef ID class was when the boater buzzed the dive flags. Ya, know when somebody asks me if I am afraid of sharks, I tell them NO, there are too many other things to be concerned about.. boats is one of them.

First let me say that the Florida Marine Patrol is a professional outfit. They are well trained. I have worked with their folks in Boating Firearms and Marine Tactical Survival Training. They have well trained and professional folks. I would like for someone to tell me how they could have prevented this incident. The photographs of the two involved vessels are important. I would never entrust a 13 yr old to run such a vessel. I am an Advanced Boating Accident Investigator, certified by the Underwriters Labratory and have sucessfully investigated many, many boating incidents, including hit-and-run homicide. I often lecture at various training academies and conferences about hit-and -run boating incidents and other marine related investigations. It is apparent from looking at the point of impact that the boat being operated by the 13 yr. old struck the victims boat at right angles amidships and drove over and across the victims boat. The gash in the side of the boat is caused by the outdrive, anti-cavitation plate, gearbox "bullet" and propeller. A dive flag, sausage or brass band would not have made a difference as the operator was not looking where he was going, or was blinded by glare, or maybe had trouble seeing over the dash, etc. If he had been keeping proper look out he would not have run into it like he did and at the speed required to run completely over the boat. The Marine Patrol should not get the blame. Also they only enforce the laws passed by the legislature. By the way, state AND federal laws apply. There is already laws to prohibit everything wrong this child did. Short of placing a water cop in every boat, there cannot be a way to eliminate accidents caused by irresponsible operators or parents who do not appreciate the dangers of children operating boats, jet skis, ATV's etc. I would also say the Fla. Marine Patrol will do a first class job in this investigation, if I know these guys. Still is a terrible tragedy, but let's place the blame where it belongs-with the operator of the striking boat who then fled.

Mr. Croft,
With your expertise in these matters, you bring up many valid points that I and probably others had not considered. Due to the fact that we are not privy to all of the facts surrounding this tragic accident and the ensuing investigation, I feel that you have made some pretty solid assessments given the limited knowledge available at this point. However, I do not believe that anyone(at least not myself) is pointing the finger at law enforcement. I personally believe that all LEOs do their very best on a daily basis to enforce the laws that are currently on the books with an abundant lack of resources. My agreement to the statement about the Marine Patrol protecting divers versus manatees was in no way meant to suggest that the officers on the water are in any way mismanaging their time and resources. But, I firmly believe that three courses of action are needed to reduce the number of boating accidents in general, not to mention those involving divers. First, better education about diver down flags would be a great start. As others have mentioned, something as simple as warnings at boat ramps would be a great start. Secondly, we need to put a licensing procedure in place for boaters that would include at least some basic "rules of the road." Third, put some pressure on our politicians to stop wasting our money on pork belly projects and special interest requests and spend it where it needs to be spent, putting more LEOs on the streets(waterways) and paying them what they deserve! Just my 2psi and one man's humble opinion.....

Matteo.
You are right. Education is the key. The main problem is they are making thousands of boats a day, but no more water. Collisions are going to continue to happen despite whatever we do to try to educate, enforce or try to prevent, People screw up and it only takes a moment of inattention, carelessness, recklessness, or negligence for a situation such as this to occur. I see it all the time in Virginia where I work, and I have witnessed very bad wrecks while visiting in Florida. You guys have a heck of a lot more boats down there.

james croft:
The Marine Patrol should not get the blame. Also they only enforce the laws passed by the legislature. Still is a terrible tragedy, but let's place the blame where it belongs-with the operator of the striking boat who then fled.

James,
I don't think that anyone is placing Blame on the Marine Patrol for this incident.

The major discussion points have been:

1) What can SB members (mainly Conch) do as a group to help remind boaters of diver and boating safety laws. Many have sited close incidents where they have been diving with dive flags visable. Suggestion - Have signes Posted similar to the manatee warnings at marina's, launches, and boat/jet ski rental locations.

2) Should there be more legislature that would prevent children from operating boats unsupervised? Most believe... yes.

3) Should there be more enforcement of the laws however that would occur?

I think the only second guessing on the part of how this accident could have been prevented is that there should be laws preventing underage children from operating a boat if not accompanied by an adult. No one has said that this could have been prevented by the Marine Patrol to my knowledge.

All agree it's tragic, and a horrible situation for both sides involved.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom