Marine Life 10 year old attacked by a shark - Bahamas

This Thread Prefix is for incidents caused by any form of marine life including large and small animals, algae or plant life, and biotoxins.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Australia .
Just for a laugh.
main-qimg-e8fb0c36fc12e4b951a4a688a22f837c-pjlq.jpeg

Nope, Florida. Lots of swimmers in south Florida so there are a lot of bites. Check out the International Shark File based at the University of Florida, the ISF tracks bites from around the world, and the US is a consistent winner.
Bites, yes, but what about fatalities? Where do most shark fatalities happen?

I think there's more to this story, and/or it's just a freak incident.

Although I do agree, maybe noobs in non scuba gear shouldn't be pretending to be actual scuba divers.
Did you see the kid in the video posted above? Waving his arms, tickling shark bellies, just asking for a bit! :eek:
Bites, yes, but what about fatalities? Where do most shark fatalities happen?
Good question. Aren't most Florida bites from less dangerous sharks? Great Whites are tracked in Florida waters, but South Africa and Australia get more I think.

Did you see the kid in the video posted above? Waving his arms, tickling shark bellies, just asking for a bit! :eek:

[snip]
He was bitten on the leg - probably stepped on a carpet shark.

That happened to a guy at a local surf club some years ago. He was bitten during an early morning swim and told a dramatic tale of wrestling a Great White! But when a shark expert examined the bite in his leg, they identified the shark as a Wobbegong, and said the most likely explanation was that he stepped on it!

I've witnessed two shark bites - both from "inoffensive" species that were manhandled by foolish divers - unfortunately, you run into idiots in every activity. Neither bite was serious, and it took a lot of provocation for the shark to bite. In both cases, they were trying to escape.

That happened to a guy at a local surf club some years ago. He was bitten during an early morning swim and told a dramatic tale of wrestling a Great White! But when a shark expert examined the bite in his leg, they identified the shark as a Wobbegong, and said the most likely explanation was that he stepped on it!

I've witnessed two shark bites - both from "inoffensive" species that were manhandled by foolish divers - unfortunately, you run into idiots in every activity. Neither bite was serious, and it took a lot of provocation for the shark to bite. In both cases, they were trying to escape.
Do you know what species are in the tank? Do you have any information that leads you to believe that the attack was associated with a carpet shark? Are you implying that the 10-yr old was being an "idiot"?

Good question. Aren't most Florida bites from less dangerous sharks? Great Whites are tracked in Florida waters, but South Africa and Australia get more I think.
I'm pretty sure Australia has by far the most shark fatalities.

Waving arms is kinda stupid. But slowly reaching out to a normal shark is pretty harmless.

Sometimes they'll bump into us. No big deal. Friendly little reef shark ain't going to hurt anyone.

FL has great hammerheads, as big as a great white, on the west coast. Tigers on the east. Kinda warm for Great Whites.

Yes, I was simply stating how stupid that kid was.
they identified the shark as a Wobbegong, and said the most likely explanation was that he stepped on it!
I remember a story of a fellow being bitten by one that wouldn't let go. He had to wear it to the lifeguard station.

Waving arms is kinda stupid. But slowly reaching out to a normal shark is pretty harmless.

Sometimes they'll bump into us. No big deal. Friendly little reef shark ain't going to hurt anyone.

FL has great hammerheads, as big as a great white, on the west coast. Tigers on the east. Kinda warm for Great Whites.
Florida has a lot of great white sharks..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom