Marine Life 10 year old attacked by a shark - Bahamas

This Thread Prefix is for incidents caused by any form of marine life including large and small animals, algae or plant life, and biotoxins.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nope, Florida. Lots of swimmers in south Florida so there are a lot of bites. Check out the International Shark File based at the University of Florida, the ISF tracks bites from around the world, and the US is a consistent winner.

The US has tons of sharks. They don't eat them like most 3rd world countries.

Shark dives, should really be adult only entertainment. But who wants to make that rule, and screw up diving? Not flopping about like a dying animal is an adult concept. But do we really need more gatekeeper nonsense?

Pretty sure I wasn't allowed to purposefully swim with sharks when I was 10. Maryland people. Say no more.

They should normalize the data by miles of coast line. It would be a more precise comparison.

Say What's-it-what's-it-stan has only 100 miles of coastline but 10 attacks a year compared to Florida with 1350 miles and 16 attacks you would be much safer swimming in Florida.

Something like 800,000 people get bitten by dogs with injuries requiring hospital treatment each year in the US. I don't think the Shark Walk experience is particularly high risk.
You may be right, but non-divers wearing MASSIVE helmets marching around in a confined space filled with sharks is a good idea? This ridiculous contraption not only limits mobility, but it appears to dramatically restrict visibility to their lower extremities. Yet they are required to awkwardly climb steps in and out of the enclosure. I have shared the ocean hundreds of times with sharks including bulls, tigers, hammers, silkies, Galapagos, whitetips, reef, etc., so I don't have an issue scuba diving with sharks. However, this costly tourist trap looks like an abomination to me.

Nope, Florida. Lots of swimmers in south Florida so there are a lot of bites. Check out the International Shark File based at the University of Florida, the ISF tracks bites from around the world, and the US is a consistent winner.
Big numerator, but big denominator too. Low risk.

why extend your arms and fingers into the open while sharks cruise around you?. A Shark will think the fingers are squid and you are feeding them. Of course, the shark will bite !
Cant be scared all your life. Otherwise, I'd recommend going to church.

You may be right, but non-divers wearing MASSIVE helmets marching around in a confined space filled with sharks is a good idea? This ridiculous contraption not only limits mobility, but it appears to dramatically restrict visibility to their lower extremities. Yet they are required to awkwardly climb steps in and out of the enclosure. I have shared the ocean hundreds of times with sharks including bulls, tigers, hammers, silkies, Galapagos, whitetips, reef, etc., so I don't have an issue scuba diving with sharks. However, this costly tourist trap looks like an abomination to me.

The sharks in an aquarium are pretty timid. Even the bulls.

I think there's more to this story, and/or it's just a freak incident.

Although I do agree, maybe noobs in non scuba gear shouldn't be pretending to be actual scuba divers.

Need to normalize to number of people in the water, not just shoreline. Washington and Oregon States have lots of shoreline, but relatively few people swimming and paddleboarding in salt water due to cold temps.

(A lack of shark species with a history of biting may also keep the numbers down.)

Back
Top Bottom