Marine Life 10 year old attacked by a shark - Bahamas

This Thread Prefix is for incidents caused by any form of marine life including large and small animals, algae or plant life, and biotoxins.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Florida has a lot of great white sharks..
U of FL attributes 36% to requiem sharks of unknown species, but they think more blacktips than anything else, 15% to identified blacktips, and 16% to bull sharks (which will also go upstream a ways into fresh water). Sorry, Jaws fans.

I remember a story of a fellow being bitten by one that wouldn't let go. He had to wear it to the lifeguard station.
Your memory is probably of a bloke who got bitten at an eastern suburbs beach in Sydney. He could not get it off and had to swim/walk to the beach and up to the lifesavers. It was a wobbegong shark and it had bitten him on the leg when he presumably stood on it. Wobbegongs are vicious but sort of harmless, have only grabbing teeth. However, they will not let go. The only way they got the wobbie off was to cut off its head!

Moral of the story, never touch a wobbie, even its tail, as it can reach all the way back and bite you!

Your memory is probably of a bloke who got bitten at an eastern suburbs beach in Sydney. He could not get it off and had to swim/walk to the beach and up to the lifesavers. It was a wobbegong shark and it had bitten him on the leg when he presumably stood on it. Wobbegongs are vicious but sort of harmless, have only grabbing teeth. However, they will not let go. The only way they got the wobbie off was to cut off its head!

Moral of the story, never touch a wobbie, even its tail, as it can reach all the way back and bite you!

Here's one from WA. It seemed compliant, but I wasn't getting any closer!

Picture31.jpg

Do you know what species are in the tank? Do you have any information that leads you to believe that the attack was associated with a carpet shark? Are you implying that the 10-yr old was being an "idiot"?
In my experience, 10 year old males are generally idiots. (I was one and I raised one, and saw many friends of both....)

2023 Australia 4, USA 2. Death by cows average around 20 per year, so I would recommend staying away from pastures, corrals and other places where bovines are found.
Never trust a cow. To make a fair comparison you would have to factor the number of cow/human interactions with the number of shark/ human interactions. There have been close to 30 fatal shark encounters in Australia over the past 10 years; not a horrendous number, but a lot more than the US.

Comparing shark attacks to death by cow or falling coconuts or whatever is also confounded by the factor that most humans spend much less time in the water than on land.
Well, how many humans spend time with cows? I was working closely with them when I was 4 or 5, but most have never been in a pen with one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom