Six year old Snorkler killed by 13yo boater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with RonFrank. I see kids on Michigan lakes drive carelessly every weekend. There are multiple fatal accidents on local lakes every year. I also think the lakes are much more crowded today than twenty years ago. Jet skiis are much of the problem as well.

Hence their true function: targets.

cdiver2:
I find it ironic that divers are FORCED to display a dive flag TO WARN BOATERS there is a diver down ( at least in Fl ) but any one can drive a boat without any idea what the flag means !. It just doe's not make any sense at all.

well.... if they're close enough to read the text, they're much too close for
comfort and it may be too late already

the key to dive flags is to create a "safety zone" around the divers into
which boats won't stray (100 feet, in case of Florida, i believe)

nobody really respects them here...and it is not enforced. Better to have a sausage so the captains miss you out of concern for their prop. Even other commercial boats drive straight over divers in the water. Major miscalculation to count on a flag doing anything for you here except getting a check mark on your checklist when the CG checks your boat.

hey, C, that gives me an idea:

tow a HUGE sign that says "DANGER MINEFIELD"

they'll stay away then

300' in open water, 100' in an inlet or river.

H2Andy:
(100 feet, in case of Florida, i believe)

From our local Sun Sentinel ...

Teen ordered held in death of young snorkeler off Key West

Associated Press
Posted June 2 2006, 12:00 PM EDT

KEY WEST -- A 13-year-old boy charged with speeding away after his boat struck and killed a young snorkeler will be kept in custody until his formal court arraignment later this month.

Monroe County Circuit Judge Sandra Taylor ordered Thursday the boy remain at a juvenile detention center for 21 days. Prosecutors had asked for the order, saying the teen was a flight risk because had had fled the scene of the Memorial Day accident.

The teenager is charged with vessel homicide, a first-degree felony punishable by 30 years in prison and up to $10,000 in fines for an adult. Because he is under age 14, he would have to be indicted by a grand jury to be tried as an adult or waive his juvenile status.

``In general, it's safe to say those provisions are rarely used,'' said Matthew Helmerich, a spokesman for State Attorney Mark E. Kohl.

As a juvenile, he could avoid such a prison sentence and instead receive probation, deferred prosecution or commitment to a residential juvenile program, said Catherine Vogel, chief assistant state attorney.

He is accused of driving his 18-foot skiff over 6-year-old Charlie Smith, who was snorkeling off Key West with his father and a sibling, and then crashing into the Smiths' boat.

The funeral for Smith was scheduled for Friday.

Its 200' away from a dive flag in Michigan. Getting caught to close buys a you pretty expensive coupon. Problem is marine patrols are pretty limited and they have a lot of area to cover. I end up doing the dance with at least one boater a year. Most act like they don't have clue what a dive flag is.

For what its worth, which isn't much IMO, everyone born after 1978 is required to take a boater safety course in Michigan.

greg454:
Well, what about this Dive Flag? You'd have to be blind not to understand it.

http://www.diversdirect.com/item/Innovative Inflatable Float/Flag_ID5082
I know somebody that was being yanked out of the water towing one of those. Somebody saw the float and thought it was a freebie.
We have been yanked out of the water by Marine Patrol by our flag. I have seen prop wash from jet skis and boats.
Education clearly is the key. No boater safety course is gonna help unless they include what a dive flag is and what it means. Look how much education has helped the manatees.. now if we could get Marine Patrol to protect us like they do the manatees....

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom