Six year old Snorkler killed by 13yo boater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Croft has a point. Someone will investigage the accident and determine the right penalties, unless the kid pleads out or charges aren't brought. I wonder how many of you people support building more prisons or the death penalty? It's fun to say "get tough on crime," but then people don't want to do the dirty work it takes for that to happen.

More LEO's on the waterways is too expensive. Not to mention the huge cost of gas that would create. Paying them higher salaries? Come on, everyone wants that. Teachers, transit workers, sewage divers, toll takers... Do you want to live in the USSR? You want to pay the taxes that would pay for all that infrastructure?

In the meantime, I say stick to areas with hardly any marine traffic. Even if they can see the flag, why take chances?

Please tell me where the below area you mentioned is,
"In the meantime, I say stick to areas with hardly any marine traffic. Even if they can see the flag, why take chances?"

Same reason we don't need to put any more on the streets, right?

Besides, if you knew what a LEO makes (at least around here) you wouldn't feel that way :)
greg454:
More LEO's on the waterways is too expensive.

How much does a LEO make in Florida? Wasn't it $37,000 to $42,000 without experience? And 52k to 65k with experience? Don't they get bonuses when they arrest bad guys?

And how do we pay for all the new LEO's y'all want to hire? Will they impose a diving tax? Now wouldn't that be fun, they charge us 10% to protect us while they only hire 10 or 20 new marine cops. Gee, I'm feeling safer already.

I tell you what we need. We need more jails and the willingness to apply the death penalty more often, and use the laws already on the books. More jails means more willingness to prosecute and less pleading out cases. More death penalty means more room for our new guests of the state.

Greg,
I like your attitude. But I have to commend the citizens of Florida. You guys are the envy of most law men in regards to the death penalty. As far as I know you are right up there in leading the pack on executions. I was a witness to a execution in Virginia for a man who murdered VA State Trooper Leo Whitt. It was not pleasant nor would I care to see another one. But it did nothing to change my mind on the death penalty. A cop on every corner would be expensive, but would not fix everything. Like any other occupation, you get what you pay for. Judges make the big bucks for making the Solomon decisions that shoukd bring justice to the citizens and defendants. Cops should at least be able to pay their bills,

Nowhere close to what they make around here. I took over a 50% paycut when I started with the sheriff's office, and I still make more than the average Sergeant. I'm a civilian, and do computer support and software development. If I were to get certified and hit the street, I'd have to take another $17,000 pay cut. That's straight out of HR.

And here, at least, no bonus for arrests. That's what their job is. There is extra pay if you're on the SWAT team or dive team, per callout - overtime.

greg454:
How much does a LEO make in Florida? Wasn't it $37,000 to $42,000 without experience? And 52k to 65k with experience? Don't they get bonuses when they arrest bad guys?

greg454:

And how do we pay for all the new LEO's y'all want to hire? Will they impose a diving tax? Now wouldn't that be fun, they charge us 10% to protect us while they only hire 10 or 20 new marine cops. Gee, I'm feeling safer already.

I tell you what we need. We need more jails and the willingness to apply the death penalty more often, and use the laws already on the books. More jails means more willingness to prosecute and less pleading out cases. More death penalty means more room for our new guests of the state.

No, cops don't get bonuses for arresting bad guys. :shakehead

Jcsgt:
No, cops don't get bonuses for arresting bad guys. :shakehead
That's right. But If I catch one more this week I win a toaster!

Thanks James, glad you like my attitude. :)

Judges make a lot because that's going to make it harder for them to be corrupted (in theory). I still think that if you want to buy a judge, you're better off doing it in Mexico or Venezuela. In America he could report you for even trying.

I guess if I was a cop, I would love to make more. Unfortunately, the reality is that a LEO cop is a sacrifice profession, like public school teacher, trash collector and firefighter. Sacrifice professions rarely pay well until you get to the top of the food chain.

However, since they are public employees, they tend to have more job security, unions and pension plans.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom