Six year old Snorkler killed by 13yo boater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greg i am still waiting for those spots you were talking about, whats up?

I'm not a cop, deeper thoughts. :) I can't open any spots. But I do advocate self defense. So if it was up to me, 911 would be a corpse-removal number. Wouldn't that be nice?

"Hi officer, there's a dead criminal in my house and he's starting to stain the carpet. Can you send somebody?"

Instead, the call cops get more often is "Hello? There's a stranger at my door. He's trying to break in! Hello? Hello? Ahhhhhh. Tut, tut, tut.."

mrjimboalaska:
Personal responsibility is something not taught any more. Look at the school system, and the lack of disapline, as well as the fact that the law has removed the ability of parents to disapline. NOT MY FAULT is the phrase today. "Feel Good" teaching and raising of kids has caused this.

Such a terrible thing for a family to go thru.......

True all that! My family is currently going through some tough times, due to someone not taking personal responsibility for their own actions. Re the school system: kids coming to us as schoolteachers without a sense of responsibility for their actions, it is not the fault of the system, nor their schoolteachers. I don't accept "I didn't do it!", when I have WATCHED one student pop another one in the back in the lunchline. Parents call to complain if their child is held accountable for their actions/grades/etc., and blame the teachers or the kid their child sits next to. They will lie for their kids absences, grades, homework, field trips, etc. They will do their kid's projects and get p.o.'d when their kid gets a "C". I had one parent write me a note, complaining that the answers for # 7 & 12 were too right, and that her kid needed a higher grade on that paper. I took a closer look at the paper, saw that someone other than the student had done the paper. I wrote back to the mother that the next time she does her kid's homework, to be a little more careful, and invited her to come see me if she wants to know how to work the problems. She did apologize, I have to give her that. Wonder where the kids have learned to say, "I'm gonna sue!" if I accidently brush against a foot while walking through the room. Anyway, I've hijacked a very sad thread, and I apologize, but I had to get on my soapbox about that.

This is a tragic event and should not be taken lightly. I do believe that this young teen is the one responsible for this accident- not his parents, not the school system, not the innocent boaters and snorkler who were injured. He could have had the best parents and school system known to man, and that kid would still choose his own destiny. He could have been a good kid from a good family- he did something way stupid, and someone innocent was killed as a result. It's impossible to keep your kids from doing something stupid, if they're bound and determined to do it. It's a tragic and terrible thing. I pray peace for the families involved.

Sorry i am referring to your earlier post about diving and snorkeling on uncrowded waterways you were suggesting.

Condolences to the family of the lost child.

Greg454 - So that we all understand your position.

Manatee's are a troublesome speed bump and there are too many anyway.

Manatee's are not shrinking in population and the bleeding heart tree huggers still will not let you take your boat down the canal at 80.

Downing the SUDS and Boat Cruising is the only way to go.

There should not be any license requirements. Everyone should be allowed to operate a boat (drunk) without any idea of what a chanel marker is or who has rights to what sort of waterway.

It is easier for a 13 YRO to learn a skill than a "older person."

Divers should dive in areas that have no boat traffic and leave the good spots to non-diver Rec Boaters.

one of my favorites "So in conclusion, if people want to do snorkeling, let them do it by the beach or with a professional dive boat. But if they go on their own and get in trouble, it's gonna be their own damn fault."

You sure have some interesting perspectives.

I would like to buy you a beer some day... and some fried fatty foods... several cartons of cigarettes, tanning salon time, and a long walk ticket to the Dania Pier.

PS- You gotta dive some of these cool spots, The Guy Harvey, The Hole in the Wall and the Hydro Atlantic google the names for GPS numbers and take your own boat.

Come on, Orlando Eric, don't take things so seriously. Just because some of my statements may seem pragmatic and a bit crazy, it's all in good fun. Maybe I overreacted to what I felt was an anti-business attitude. I was clearly mistaken.

HOWEVER, I do believe that diving with the experts from http://www.tarpoondivecenter.com/ is much safer than renting your own boat, specially if you don't know the area well. I had two dives with them on sunday, and the only time I saw other boats was when I was in the boat.

goodness....my condolences to the family. Why didn't I hear about this earlier?

greg454:
Come on, Orlando Eric, don't take things so seriously. Just because some of my statements may seem pragmatic and a bit crazy, it's all in good fun.

There is certainly a place on SB for *good fun*, and to get a bit crazy. This thread is not that place. Think about how the father of the 6 year old who was killed would react to your posts? My bet is that insensitive, crass, insulting, and heartless could all describe his reaction to your statements along with outrage and anger.

While most here are sympathetic, and attempting to offer viable suggestions for how such a tragic accident could be avoided in the future, you are telling all that snorkelers and endangered wildlife just have to live with selfish and reckless boating behavior. :banghead: :toilet

The victim of the tragedy isn't here, neither is his father. Nor do I think he would give a damn about what strangers think of him and his son. Ever looked at the forums related to yahoo stories? That stuff is a millions times nastier than my sarcasm and cynicism.

Also, there's never any constructive solutions during times of outrage and tragedy. Ever seen Gone with the Wind? Scarlett gets attacked by criminals who happen to be former slaves. But she's also saved by a former slaved who used to work for her. Then she complains to her husband for not understanding her, the husband organizes a raid on a town full of free slaves and gets killed in the process.

That's reality, you get emotional, you want laws passed, you want action, and then you end up getting hurt, regretting it. We don't even know all the details of the accident and you're already blaiming all young boaters, old boaters, and the current laws.

Wanna punish the kid that did it? Fine, do so. But don't punish the entire boating industry and all aspiring boaters. That's the problem with the liberal mindset, instead of blaiming the perpetrator, they blame everyone else.

Seriously, if I took things as seriously as you do, I would have already shooted myself in the head.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom