Six year old Snorkler killed by 13yo boater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am certified OW, I just haven't updated my profile.

Furthemore, we don't ban things just because accidents happen. Most boating accidents occur with adult captains, not kids. So punishing all kids for the actions of one is completely unfair.

How would you feel if spearfishing was banned just because of a few spearfishing accidents?

The fact is that boating is a terrific industry, I wish I could take a boat to New York, St. Marteen, or Europe instead of having to sit down in an overcrowded prison-resembling American Airlines plane.

And if some boaters get drunk, so what? Plenty of car drivers get drunk too. And unless you're a puppet of MAD, you don't want alcohol prohibition like they do.

And before you call me insensitive, consider that a member of my family was killed by a drunk driver. So yeah, I know life can be sh-tty but I don't expect the government to fix every problem.

If someone broke the law, prosecute the *******. Ironically, that rarely happens, the same people that want more laws are the same people that feel too much compassion for criminals. Just like Lionel Tate, first he gets a life sentence, then the bleeding hearts ***** that he's too young, so he's freed, so he robs a store, and now he might get 25 years.

You really want more laws? Build more prisons and allow the death penalty to be used more often! Otherwise, no deal.

Frankly, I'm not gonna be paranoid about a few boating accidents that occur every year. People also get into diving accidents and have been attacked by sharks, eels and snapping turtles and that doesn't keep people who want adventure from diving.

Neither will be a tiny minority of boating accidents.

once again, i'm not sure what your point is as it relates to this tragic accident

My point is we should not go berserk over this tragic accident.

Boating in Florida is becomming more and more dangerous as more and more people move to the state. Unfortunately, divers/swimmers/snorklers are more and more commonly being hit by ignorant (or intoxicated) boaters.

I don't think that anyone is going "berserk" over this incident. I, and others, have long felt that our boating laws need to be updated, along with enforcement and education. This tragedy is just another case in point.

greg454:

I don't think suggesting posting boating laws/rules at marina's or launches, or suggesting that children should not be unsupervised in a boat is the definition of going berserk.

Show me the stastic where boating captains are involved in the majority of boating accidents, because I think that is BS.

You like to say stuff, but like so many posting on the internet, the things you state as fact seem to be a lot of hot air and backed by nothing other then the person posting.

I ask the question again is this post for real or just to argue?

greg454:

i agree. going berserk accomplishes nothing.

getting organized and getting information out there to educate people, on the
other hand, may prevent something like this from happening in the future

deeper thoughts:
I ask the question again is this post for real or just to argue?

The incident was very real.

I find it ironic that divers are FORCED to display a dive flag TO WARN BOATERS there is a diver down ( at least in Fl ) but any one can drive a boat without any idea what the flag means !. It just doe's not make any sense at all.

No i know the incident was real, my question was the posters positions seems like he just wants to argue

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom