Regulator in carry on baggage, anyone had any issues at security?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The first time I traveled with dive gear, I put it all in my checked baggage on the way to Coz so did the same thing on the way home. I remember putting it in my reg bag packing up to come home and my buddy remembers it, too. But somewhere between there and home, my reg set got "lost". My reg bag made it as did everything else in it, just not my reg set. So I carry it on since then. No problems so far.

...but 'Doc' says you won't experience theft issues.

This seems like an interestingly over qualified statement. If the airlines keep stats on what is most often stolen, that would be some excellent data. Maybe you are in the airline business?

It might make sense to claim that luggage of any kind is rarely stolen. Seems a bit more interesting to claim that criminals avoid dive gear carte blanche. I have seen some incredibly expensive reg sets that I would never trust to checked bags. I dang sure am not going to tell others to put their expensive gear in checked bags while I have no skin in their game.

I always bring my reg sets as carry-on, and 'yes' they are quite expensive (titanium(s) with multiple top-line AI computers, etc.).

I put my regs, dive computer, mask, BCD and other items in my carry-on. While most of that stuff could take a licking and keep on ticking, I don't want to deal with a lost bag or anything being stolen. Sure, it may not be worth a lot on the used market (with the exception of the dive computer), I don't want to trust the thieves to know the value of everything they steal.

Traveled to St. Lucia, Cancun, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Belize, Costa Rica, Turks & Caicos and other places with only a mention of "do you have dive gear in here?". When I say, "yes" they just hand the bag to me. No looking.

It's not the resale value on the black market you need to worry about, it's the $ cost to you to purchase new replacement gear.

I've always gotten through in the US, Mexico, and Costa Rica but they usually put my carry-on aside and look through it. I've heard too many stories about loss and theft of checked bags to chance it but like you said, some places it's required so then I'd make sure it was covered by insurance.

The only time I had an issue was in Cuba. They pull my wife and I aside and ask if we minded them using our regs to train a couple new people. They passed them through the screen a couple times, explained what they were, said thank you to my wife and I and we were waved through.

I have taken 2 reg sets and a several computers in a single reg bag in my carry on. I have passed through without question many times. I have had a manual search many times. It's never been a problem, they generally get it when you say you have scuba gear. I have never paid a hostage fee. I have not been to the Philippines.

There is also absolutely NO reason to carry on a regulator. They are inherently bulletproof and are actually not worth stealing for resale. Plain fact, but forever unbelieved by the readers of the Internet.
I agree but I carry them on anyway because 1) I have the space and mine are pretty light. 2) I want my regulators with me to dive the next morning - other gear I can rent if my checked luggage is delayed but I prefer to dive my regs. 3) We do live-aboards that sail the same day we arrive.. Some to destinations with 1-2 flights per day from our origin. So it would not be possible to get our checked bags till a week later.

It's never happened on a dive trip but once on a cruise it took several days for our checked bags to show up.

Last edited:
This seems like an interestingly over qualified statement. If the airlines keep stats on what is most often stolen, that would be some excellent data. Maybe you are in the airline business?

It might make sense to claim that luggage of any kind is rarely stolen. Seems a bit more interesting to claim that criminals avoid dive gear carte blanche. I have seen some incredibly expensive reg sets that I would never trust to checked bags. I dang sure am not going to tell others to put their expensive gear in checked bags while I have no skin in their game.
It may be true that it's hard for a thief to resell a reg for much or at all, I dunno. But the other aspect of this is that it would seem less convenient to steal a reg (or any larger gear) than much smaller and more valuable things. It's easier to conceal a dive computer, camera, small electronics, etc. Clearly one can never say never, anything can get stolen someplace. But I suspect the point is more that people maybe worry about dive gear theft from luggage a little more than they need to. Lost bags are another matter, but I believe the incidence of that has gone down quite a bit over the years. (Still sucks if it's yours.)

Reactions: Doc
..... I have not been to the Philippines.
Diving is very good in the country.
Just remember to pack your reg in your check bag when you LEAVE the country if you want to avoid any issue.

It's not the resale value on the black market you need to worry about, it's the $ cost to you to purchase new replacement gear.

I look at it more as not having my gear when I want to dive. I will go after the airline for the lost bag cost.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom