Success!! Everything (but tanks) in carry-on

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nicely done! Have you considered using an AIR 2 (or similar) and dispensing with the octopus reg and the 5'/7' hose on your primary. This will free up a couple of lbs, probably.

rx7diver
That looks like a DIR setup, so I don't think it's an option, but presumably yeah if you wanted to forgo the hose config and skip the SPG as well, you could further reduce the weight.

That looks like a DIR setup, so I don't think it's an option, but presumably yeah if you wanted to forgo the hose config and skip the SPG as well, you could further reduce the weight.
Yes, I was thinking he might want to eliminate a couple of lbs so that he can add a small U/W dive light and a small save-a-dive kit and still come in under weight restrictions. (I would keep the SPG, though.)

If his back plate is SS, he might switch it out for Al (for example) for even more weight savings.

rx7diver

Yes, I was thinking he might want to eliminate a couple of lbs so that he can add a small U/W dive light and a small save-a-dive kit and still come in under weight restrictions. (I would keep the SPG, though.)

If his back plate is SS, he might switch it out for Al (for example) for even more weight savings.

rx7diver
I haven't done it, but if i had to, I would try wearing my SS BP on my back underneath my coat while checking in.

rx7diver
Yep I'm going DIR/GUE setup, and my BP is Al.

But I like the idea of conceptualizing a full setup that minimizes weight and/or size. This could be a good resource for those with a similar objective.

BC inflator + second 2nd stage combo optimizes on both weight and space, so I think this is a must-have for the minimalist rec diver's travel rig. Taking it further, a titanium reg and primary 2nd stage coupled to a braided hose would shave off another pound, maybe 2.

I have twice cut down 4” off pairs of fins to fit them in my carryon suitcase. Short fins work for me. I stuff “Stuff” in pockets, and around them. I must carry my prescription mask. I just got back from Koh Tao, the flights to from Bangkok worked for carryon, but the short flight from Bangkok to Koh Samui, the agents grabbed my bag from me for checked luggage. You never know when they’ll get officious.
Another vote for short fins, that fit in my carry on.
Other carry on packing strategies: I rent a wetsuit, and bring a hooded vest- easier to pack, and makes up for many shortcomings of a rental suit. Plus, 2mm neoprene socks help me slide into any slightly too small wetsuit. I add pockets to clothing to make everything multipurpose (TSA checks are hilarious, all the things I have to remove from my pockets). Excepting my travel outfit, most tops & shorts double as swim wear.

This is the way! Travel is all about moving quickly, through crowds, lines or to catch the last ferry. Light is fast.

I’ve shown this before, with super nova fins having full size fins is an option, this is with an AL Outlaw b/c
IMG_8043.jpeg
IMG_8044.jpeg
IMG_8045.jpeg
IMG_8046.jpeg

The Airport security line ladies come after me saying my carryon won’t fit in the sizing bin, and they are correct because the baggage sizing bin is cigarette-pack sized!!!
I have to wait for a crowd to come through and hide behind the mob.
But the stress is getting to me so i may buy one of those teeny hard sided wheelie suitcases and just pack a dive set with thinnest rash guards.
I bring my boots as well as fins, for sea urchins safety.

I keep my 65L carry-on duffel backpack thing on my back standing in line and at check-in. Being 6'4" and 260lbs helps to make it look tiny. Never had a problem fitting it in the overhead, either.

I've found that United is more of a dick about carry-on sizes than other airlines.

I’ve shown this before, with super nova fins having full size fins is an option, this is with an AL Outlaw
Yes!! I remember seeing these exact photos some time last month which made me realize it is possible and inspired me to do the same. Was a frenzy of two weeks where I was researching everything and trying to get it all before my dive trip.

Pretty certain that had you not shared the photos, I'd just have settled with a mask, dive computer, and regulator set. So thank you 😁

Edit: I forgot I made a video showing the unpacking of everything, and repacking it in the transport duffel. The original photos don't quite reveal how they're packed so for reference:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom