Success!! Everything (but tanks) in carry-on

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the_one_who_waits

Registered
Reaction score
(Backstory; pics attached so scroll down to skip)
When I travel, I enjoy maintaining the freedom and flexibility to do what I want when i want. Thus, I never plan out the entire trip in advance. At most, I would buy a departure and return ticket and then decide where to go and what to do after I arrive at a destination. I would bounce around cities and countries via one-way tickets on planes, buses, trains, ferries, etc. This means traveling as light as possible is top priority, and this also means I never check-in any luggage. My typical loadout is a backpack and the standard carry-on wheeled suitcase.

When I got into diving a few years ago, my travel plans began revolving around dive destinations. And after a week or so of diving, I'd trek around the country/region. As much as I enjoyed diving, I was still very adamant against being encumbered by getting my own gear due to the likelihood of needing to check-in luggage. I ended up getting only a mask and a dive computer as their size and weight are negligible. And so I settled on renting all the rest of the equipment indefinitely. No matter how many mouths those regulators have been in (not to mention the times they've been puked in), how many people peed in the wetsuits I was just putting on, nor how infrequent everything was cleaned/washed....this was the compromise I resigned myself to, until.

I've always assumed that, at minimum, rental equipment would be in working order. After all, customer safety would be every dive shops' main priority right? I'd imagine dead customers are not good for business. Which led me to blindly trust and believe the equipment I'd be renting, no matter how gross or disorderly, would at least keep me alive. Long story short, I experienced, not one, but 2 complete regulator failures within the same year, on different trips/different locations. At that point, I decided it was enough and purchased my own regulator set.

Things kind of spiraled out of hand from there and I went on a shopping spree for the rest of the setup. I scoured the internet (mostly this board) to research every piece of equipment while maintaining the objective of keeping it as travel-friendly as possible. Although I was meticulously measuring, down to the half centimeter, the cubic space in my backpack and suitcase and reconciling that with each piece of equipment, there was no way I would be certain until everything had arrived and I attempted to pack it all together.

Well, my final order arrived earlier today and I am proud to say that it was all able to fit into my carry-on luggage (and with space to spare!). I have come across some posts where people would mention they achieved this as well but didn't provide specifics so I figured I'd share mine.

Details:
  • I elected to go with a BP/W as it packs flatter, and can be separated if needed, which is what I ended up doing (BP in backpack and wing in suitcase).
  • Instead of a wetsuit, I went for 3-piece Sharkskin suit: pants, zip-up hooded vest, zip-up jacket. This allows for more flexibility in packing since they can be packed in different places (zip-up jacket ended up going in the regulator bag)
  • The fins were a no brainer: Scubapro Supernovas. Disassembled and stacked in the suitcase.
  • The lime green square folds out to be a large and sturdy duffel bag that I will use to transport all my equipment to/from dive shops and boats. Plus, for when my suitcase (currently at ~24lbs) exceeds weight allowance on some airlines, I can use that to check-in BP/W, fins, etc...
  • My backpack is from 5.11 tactical. I put the BP, tech shorts, dry bag, and collapsed duffel bag in it. There is plenty space left in there and the side clips can be adjusted or released for more storage.
    • also just realized that the suitcase has another zipper that can further expand its volume
(also, disregard the knife as I know it definitely isn't carry-on friendly)

Attachments

• PXL_20240220_202627616~2.jpg
    PXL_20240220_202627616~2.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 181
  • PXL_20240220_203258779~2.jpg
    PXL_20240220_203258779~2.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 180
  • PXL_20240220_204309063~2.jpg
    PXL_20240220_204309063~2.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 178
Impressive...but what about clothes and toiletries?

Even when packing "light" the gear for my wife and I ends up being a 45-50lb rolling duffle, two pilot cases and a carry-on backpack...plus another backpack for my underwater camera setup. Wish we could shave some weight off, but we'd have to re-buy much of our gear to do that.

Wow... kudos to you! There is NO WAY that I could bring my preferred dive and photo and personal gear on "carry-on" only..... I use EVERY possible ounce of my TOTAL allowance, including checked bags, when traveling... and even then have to give up some items that I'd really like to have.

I can get almost all my warm water dive gear in a 9x11x18 personal underseat bag (except for wetsuit and wing which go in the 9x14x22 rollaboard with the rest of my clothes). It's been really awesome breezing through airports and not having to wait for the baggage carousel. Up until today, only downside was going without a knife or shears.

I always get pulled aside while they manually check my personal item bag after it goes through x-ray, I explain its scuba gear and we bag it back up and I'm on my way. Except today.

Some security supervisor today as I was leaving DR at the Punta Cana airport got frustrated when he couldn't turn on my flashlight and immediately decided my backplate looked too much like a parachute and then just started spouting Spanish so fast I couldn't catch a single word as he pushed me back out security. I ended up having to go back to the counter and check that bag and almost missed my flight. I think I might be done avoiding a checked bag next trip. Shame too, like you I felt like I had it really figured out and was thrilled with being able to travel light and smart. Came to the same conclusion you did as well, supernovas are fantastic travel fins when broken down. The fin blades sandwich nicely and the foot pockets can swallow a bunch of other gear too.

I read a few days ago the airline industry is looking at banning all carry on, with the exception of light handbags, max 5kg. Their rationale is to remove overhead lockers to save weight as the average weight per passenger has significantly increased.

The no-frills airlines are already enforcing their size and weight limits on carry on items.

Reactions: Doc
Impressive...but what about clothes and toiletries?
While there's enough room in my backpack for some clothes and my toiletry bag, I've been in the habit of buying (cheap) clothes and toiletry items as I need them.

Now, my new ~8lb camera setup (rig, lights/strobes, buoyancy arms) that I just put together is a new challenge to tackle.

Some security supervisor today as I was leaving DR at the Punta Cana airport got frustrated when he couldn't turn on my flashlight and immediately decided my backplate looked too much like a parachute and then just started spouting Spanish so fast I couldn't catch a single word as he pushed me back out security. I ended up having to go back to the counter and check that bag and almost missed my flight. I think I might be done avoiding a checked bag next trip. Shame too, like you I felt like I had it really figured out and was thrilled with being able to travel light and smart. Came to the same conclusion you did as well, supernovas are fantastic travel fins when broken down. The fin blades sandwich nicely and the foot pockets can swallow a bunch of other gear too.

This is good to know. DR is on my hit list for later this summer so thanks for sharing. I guess I'll need to brush up on my Espanol prior.

Well done. Lost/misplaced dive gear is a PITA-hard lesson learned. Why give the airlines a shot at you if it can be helped. I always try and carry as much gear in the cabin as possible.

That said, there's always the chance some security nimrod will object to something (Cancun security used to confiscate alkaline batteries and I've been told you have to check regulators in the Phils). Word to the wise, get the airport early and never lose your cool even in the face of unrestrained stupidity.

there should be a club for this.

i love packing cubes because i can play tetris inside my carry-on. i usually win.

I have twice cut down 4” off pairs of fins to fit them in my carryon suitcase. Short fins work for me. I stuff “Stuff” in pockets, and around them. I must carry my prescription mask. I just got back from Koh Tao, the flights to from Bangkok worked for carryon, but the short flight from Bangkok to Koh Samui, the agents grabbed my bag from me for checked luggage. You never know when they’ll get officious.

(Backstory; pics attached so scroll down to skip)
When I travel, I enjoy maintaining ...
Nicely done! Have you considered using an AIR 2 (or similar) and dispensing with the octopus reg and the 5'/7' hose on your primary. This will free up a couple of lbs, probably.

rx7diver

Back
Top Bottom