Does the roller/backpack combo bag I want, exist?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fluff_astrid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I do a mix of dive travel by air but also quite a bit of dive group meets with my local dive shop. I have been trying to find a mythical dive bag that meets my needs, but struggling. What I need:
  • A bag that can be rolled *and* carried. I often take public transport to shore dive locations due to an absence of parking nearby, and this includes a ~20 min level walk between the bus stop and the shore entry location. Some days I don't mind carrying, but as I've gotten older I'd like to give my back a break and have something that rolls.
  • Lightweight and not too big (under 70cm/28in length ideal) -- I am 5'3", so those super tall backpacks don't work for me.
  • A bag that is suitable to take on small public transport (our local bus is quite small and often bags may need to sit in front of me or in my lap)
  • Stores small as I live in a 1 bedroom apartment -- so collapsible or not too big in the first place.
  • It needs to be shaped such that I can stick my fins in it. The fins can stick out, that's fine.
  • Needs to have opaque zip compartments so that everyone can't see what I'm carrying. The mesh bags always snag on something.
  • Ideally it would be under $300 AUD; I can't justify some of the crazy $800 AUD pricing I'm seeing on e.g. a basic mesh TUSA roller
It's not a requirement to have this bag be a primary luggage bag; I already have quite large pieces of luggage I can cram gear into with a smaller collapsible bag. Therefore, this bag doesn't have to be luggage handler proof.

To date I've been using a standard TravelPro carryon soft-sided luggage, it's fine but too small and doesn't fit my fins. But at the very least it's survived 4 years of beatings and the zippers, surprisingly, haven't failed yet.

I tried out a Subea 90L rolling dry bag, but it's clearly built for air travel, it was 80CM long, very wide and with an extremely rigid backing. It was far too big to take on public transit, or in dive van transport when there's multiple people going from the shop to a dive site. Need something lower profile and more flexible.

Note, I'm located in Australia, where it's a bit tough to access Osprey or Eagle Creek brands -- I do have a trip to the US coming up in Jan though and have Amazon Prime.

I came across this during my search for the perfect bag:
It's still pretty long, but it's not rigid.

From what I've seen the bags which have wheels and backpack straps tend to be on the longer/larger side.

Another option you might want to consider is to find an expedition duffel bag, and pair it with a folding hand trolley (a dive buddy actually does this to lug his dive bag up the hill to the car from the wharf - bicycle locks the trolley to a hand rail while on the boat).

There was a company that used to make dive specific bags that didn't suck. They obviously went out of business.
@iowacavediver you still have that dive backpack for sale or remember the name of it?

I came across this during my search for the perfect bag:
It's still pretty long, but it's not rigid.

From what I've seen the bags which have wheels and backpack straps tend to be on the longer/larger side.

Another option you might want to consider is to find an expedition duffel bag, and pair it with a folding hand trolley (a dive buddy actually does this to lug his dive bag up the hill to the car from the wharf - bicycle locks the trolley to a hand rail while on the boat).
Ah the folding trolley is a good idea. Does he have any troubles balancing the bag against it/strapping it in?

Wheeled bags need a fixed internal frame, so you are stuck with their height and width. The best you can do is a wheeled duffle bag where the depth is collapsible.

What you can try is something like this Samsonite folding luggage trolley plus a regular (frameless) duffle bag with backpack straps. The trolley has a couple of bungees, which might be enough to hold everything together, but I'd suggest adding a luggage strap or two because the bungees are really intended for luggage with an internal structure.

Ah the folding trolley is a good idea. Does he have any troubles balancing the bag against it/strapping it in?
To be honest, I didn't stick around and see - I have my own struggles after I lug my own bag up the hill.

But, if I were doing it, I'd be using a set (or 2, or 3) of these:
(I do actually use these straps - highly recommended - but replace trolley with motorcycle)

I have used a Mares Cruise dive bag for years. It has rollers and padded shoulder straps which tuck away when not in use. It has external fin pockets. The fins give the side of the bag rigidity. When empty, the bag folds into itself occupying minimal space when stored.

I have used a Mares Cruise dive bag for years. It has rollers and padded shoulder straps which tuck away when not in use. It has external fin pockets. The fins give the side of the bag rigidity. When empty, the bag folds into itself occupying minimal space when stored.
Thanks! I'll look this up. So far sounds ideal...

Is it this one?

Here's a review that would give me pause if I needed to pull it for any distance.

"Great if you have to fold it up after arriving at a boat, but annoying to walks with, since it's not rigid and has no extendible handle."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom