Question Flight to FVM baggage limit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pearlman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey Folks,
The usual carry-on baggage limit in my region is 7kgs but I usually travel with 8kg carry-on backpack and another 1-2 kg in my tablet sling bag (action cam chargers and batteries etc) - the trick being nobody really weighs the carry-on bagsā€¦ šŸ˜‰

However the Fuvamulah domestic flights have a carry-on limit of 5kg -
The standard permissible weight is 25 kg, which includes 20 kg of checked-in luggage and 5 kg of hand luggage per person.

Now I cannot simply checkin my carry-on bag with expensive stuff like cameras related gear as it cannot be locked and secured and also cannot re-pack the heavier stuff into my check-in bags due to lack of space in the existing bags (fully packed with no room even for souvenirs). My dive gear hard shell suitcase weighs 19kgs and I also check-in a mini duffel bag of 9kg typically with my clothing for the trip. I foresee challenges here in boarding the flight unless I purchase a new small hard shell suitcase to check-in with some of my carry-on stuff re-packed into the smaller suitcase.

I would like to hear from other flyers on their experiences with carry-on luggage on the MLE<>FVM domestic leg - do they actually weigh the bags or can I sneak in a few extra kilos?

Thanks for any tips on this.

PS: I see comments on the Internet from 2022 about the MLE<>FVM tickets being approx $250 but since a month I am not getting prices lower than $385. Could a recent flyer confirm the prices typically seen on this leg?

From what I heard (at least that the cases for the transfer seaplane of our hotel) you can have extra weights, but they will charge you 5$ + tax per kilos.

Are you getting these Male-Fuvahmulah roundtrip fares online or thru a Fuvahmulah dive operator? When I went in February, the dive operators were able to get a cheaper fare than if I booked it online with Maldivian Air. At the time, I paid $270 roundtrip, but I recall the dive operator telling me at the time that the fares had gone up merely two months after we booked.

They use small plane from Male to Fuvahmulah. I have to check-in my carry-on bag because even though it is the correct size for carry-on internationally. It don't fit the baggage compartment of Fokker Prop plane. The good thing is excessive baggage charges are quite cheap.

From what I heard (at least that the cases for the transfer seaplane of our hotel) you can have extra weights, but they will charge you 5$ + tax per kilos.
Paying extra is the option for check-in luggage but one cannot do it for carry-on bags.

They use small plane from Male to Fuvahmulah. I have to check-in my carry-on bag because even though it is the correct size for carry-on internationally. It don't fit the baggage compartment of Fokker Prop plane. The good thing is excessive baggage charges are quite cheap.

Thatā€™s my fear. All my expensive and delicate stuff in the carry-on soft haversack bag going into check-in. I am scared of damage or pilfering of itemsā€¦

Paying extra is the option for check-in luggage but one cannot do it for carry-on bags.

Thatā€™s my fear. All my expensive and delicate stuff in the carry-on soft haversack bag going into check-in. I am scared of damage or pilfering of itemsā€¦
A guy is arguing with the staff who insisted he check-in his carry-on baggage which has his DSLR in it. It is best that you have smaller backpack to put those battery and expensive items when flying to FVM.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom