Question Is a duffel bag safe to be checked luggage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With a soft bag it all comes down to careful packing. Also, if it's really waterproof, press out all the extra air before sealing in case of pressure drop in the hold or temperature transients.
The brand is Waterproof (Swedish). It is waterproof from the base to the zip (but the zip itself isn’t air tight.

It's plenty strong and secure, but will it slide well on the baggage conveyors? That rubberized exterior won't survive any length of time sliding against the curbs on a baggage conveyor. I've had two new waterproof duffels come off the belt with a holes worn through the fabric. You'd do better looking for something with the waterproofing in the inside. Lined ballistic nylon would still slide well on the belts and be just as functional on the boat.
That scares me!

I have a Stahlsac wheeled duffel bag that I take as checked luggage all the time.

Attachments

• JAMAICAN-SMUGGLER-BLUE.jpg
    JAMAICAN-SMUGGLER-BLUE.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 59
Pelican Air cases are my go to. Extremely rugged and durable.
At $365, with a volume of 2.5 cu feet weighing in at 17#, have at it.

IMG_8482.jpeg

Guess i’ll just take my chances.

At $365, with a volume of 2.5 cu feet weighing in at 17#, have at it.

View attachment 807008

Guess i’ll just take my chances.
The 1615 box is the same size as like a big conventional checked bag. According to their website it is the maximum allowable size for most airlines. It weighs 14 lbs and is $335. Which I admit I haven't checked their prices post covid. It is a lot of money for a bag but they do come with a lifetime warranty. It's still no more than the stahlsac bag. I personally love mine and wouldn't go any other way. After about 20-25k miles on mine this year it still looks great. Not to mention if you go a lot of remote places where your bag is on the back of a truck or something it's really nice to just hose the dust off of it and keep it clean. Also can double as a rinse bucket if you don't have anything else 😉

The only drawbacks in my opinion are that since the bag is sealed, if your gear is wet it can be quite smelly when you get home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom