Question Is a duffel bag safe to be checked luggage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brett down under

Registered
Reaction score
Recently bought a Waterproof Duffel Bag as my gear bag for local dives (WP DUFFEL BAG - Waterproof Diving), but would also like to take this on dive trips when going on holidays.
What are your thoughts on if this type of bag is safe / secure enough to be used as checked luggage? The straps can be taken off and stored in side. I've purchased a TSA lock and AirTag for it also. It's a great bag and really like it, but wondered if others regularly check duffels or if rollers / suitcases are more the done thing? I've got a small foam-padded hard-case for my regs, so I could either use this as a personal item to carry-on or enclose in the duffel.

If it's high quality it may take the rough treatment from luggage handlers better than some stiff suitcases. But I would definitely be wary of breakable items inside. Make sure everything is packed neatly, tightly and well padded.

I used to check duffels with climbing and diving gear for years until got tired of schlepping them around.
Fair. The back pack straps are what attracted me to this one. I thought might be easier when out and about then a wheelie bag. Will have to wait and see if it turns into a wheelie good idea or not :wink:

With a soft bag it all comes down to careful packing. Also, if it's really waterproof, press out all the extra air before sealing in case of pressure drop in the hold or temperature transients.

I've used (as check-in baggage) one of my dad's old U.S. Army heavy canvas duffel bags for my dive gear when I travel by air, ever since I began (in the early 1990's) airline travel with scuba gear. Dad gave it to me when I left home for college in the early 1970's.

Works fine. Everything except regulators and gauges goes in it. And I include in it a lightweight, mesh-paneled dive bag to use once I'm on-site.

This duffel is sufficiently faded and worn that it can't be mistaken for something that an active-duty soldier would be using.

rx7diver

It's plenty strong and secure, but will it slide well on the baggage conveyors? That rubberized exterior won't survive any length of time sliding against the curbs on a baggage conveyor. I've had two new waterproof duffels come off the belt with a holes worn through the fabric. You'd do better looking for something with the waterproofing in the inside. Lined ballistic nylon would still slide well on the belts and be just as functional on the boat.

I exclusively use North Face Base Camp duffels for all my dive trips. I have the small, medium, large, and xl depending on the trip. Never had an issue. I do carry on my mask, computer, and regs.

Military Surplus air crewman bags.

[oh yes, must carry my delicate reg sets as they are soooooo valuable for resale very easy for baggage handlers to steal. happens all the thyme) not.

IMG_8005.jpeg

Dry Bags used as airline check bags will not be dry bags after a trip or two. Life is rough on the ramps.

Back
Top Bottom