Question Travel Pro 30" roller duffel as dive luggage ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They do however unfortunately scream "expensive" which alerts both the customs agents and less savory individuals that they may be interested in the contents.
I suppose that is true. They are not cheap. I don't worry much about customs people, which might be foolish. My cases are well battered and scuffed, which helps on the expensive part. They were expensive once. Now, they are just ugly. And they don't exactly have some fancy designer label. I don't recall ever seeing a Pelican case for sale used. Maybe there is a resale market.

Not to mention their weight - the one I got is 30” diagonal and weighs almost 9kgs!! So that eats into 10kgs of the basic 20kg baggage allowance then if you add typically 14kgs of Scuba gear + 7kgs of clothing you have another 11 kgs left so you end up paying for the 15kg bracket of excess baggage fees … moreover the weight of camera electronics and batteries basically consumes most of my carry-on baggage so no option to stuff clothing in the cabin bag. :rolleyes:

My pelican style case lies permanently below my bed frame as a long term storage box for my scuba gear.
Pelican Air cases are lighter, but your point is well taken.

I suppose that is true. They are not cheap. I don't worry much about customs people, which might be foolish. My cases are well battered and scuffed, which helps on the expensive part. They were expensive once. Now, they are just ugly. And they don't exactly have some fancy designer label. I don't recall ever seeing a Pelican case for sale used. Maybe there is a resale market.
It’s not the cost of the case, but the cost of the possible contents that require a protective case.

Check out the Eagle Creek ORV Trunk 30. Fairly light for a tough bag, and they fit most scuba fins packed along the sides. This effectively acts like an internal hard sidewall.

My original one is still going strong after 10+ years, and it has been to 5 continents on 50+ work and dive trips. Replaced a wheel using lifetime warranty last year because the rubber came off, took 3 minutes with a hex key. Still rolled, but it was pretty loud without the rubber.

The newer ones we have are slightly different materials, but are holding up well too.

Lance

It’s not the cost of the case, but the cost of the possible contents that require a protective case.
Makes sense. I have been using it as a suitcase and never thought much about it. Aside from carrying equipment for work, I mostly carries clothes and toothbrushes and the like. Your point is well taken. My case looks pretty shabby now. That may not be much camouflage. I don't know how big an issue this is.

They aren't cheap, and are a little heavy when empty, but I'm up to 3 Ogio 9800 bags now, one for each of my main outdoor hobbies (skydiving, skiing, and now scuba).

They're built like absolute tanks, roll well, and hold a lot of gear. Main issue is the aforementioned weight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom