Regulator in carry on baggage, anyone had any issues at security?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good thing my regs, BP/W, fins, wetsuit and grubby t-shirts are together worth less than $1500. :)

I used to make a habit of carrying on my regs, but I changed my mind on this. Here's my thinking. Regs are not as fragile as one might think--I wrap the stages in a wetsuit or clothing. They're too bulky to be attractive to thieves--is an airline employee going to walk out at the end of his shift with my 7-ft hose wrapped around him? Everything in my checked bag is either bulky or not worth much money. I don't see any compelling reason not to put regs in my checked bag. Okay, what if the airline loses my bag? I know some of you attempt it, but I can't seem to manage carrying on ALL of my gear, so I would have to deal with the loss of the rest of my gear anyway. Why NOT put all my eggs (excluding computer, mask, and lights) in one basket, so to speak? If it's lost, I'll piss and moan and then deal with it. Compared with the cost of the flight and diving (e.g., a liveaboard or resort), the extra cost of having to rent gear for a week would be small. Aggressor, for example, will rent a complete set of gear for a week for $175. I would miss my familiar gear, but I would probably quickly get over it. I will see the same sea life as everyone else, no matter what their gear. And more likely than not, eventually the airline will locate my lost bag. Rental gear is often good and well maintained. I know one couple--classic "vacation divers" if you will--who have been diving for decades all over the world, taking a big trip every year, and never owned their own gear, because they don't want to have to store, maintain, and eventually replace, it. They see the cost as just part of diving. Maybe they don't realize how ahead of the wave they were, as we talk about people (ah those millennials) increasingly preferring to pay for services and experiences over owning their own stuff.

Reactions: Doc
My understanding is that the airlines have very low cash settlement amounts for lost luggage, nowhere near enough to cover your realized $ losses.

Delta has around $1,750 for international travel and $3,300 for domestic. The dive computer is my most expensive piece of equipment, so that goes in my backpack (along with my Nautilus Radio). Most other stuff goes in my carry-on, so it would only get lost if I gate check it. I think the amount is per bag, but I could be wrong. Either way, my fins, BCD, reg and other items do not total up to $1,800. Probably not much more than $1,000.

The true hot button issue, a new topic rarely discussed? We've lost track of that factual thing in lieu of this much more emotional, gut feeling issue.
You already said Mexico is an exception. An exception that you left out of your first authoritative post. Insurance is an emotional gut feeling. Carry on or checked baggage is an emotional gut feeling. Which tables or which computer algorithm we pick is an emotional gut feeling. Just seems to me like a lot of subjective material that rarely lead to one claim to be the authoritative view point.

I stick by my post as well.

No need to carry regs in carry on, they are robust and not prone to damage. Pack them in checked in luggage in a normal travel case minus dive stickers etc on the outside and you will have very little issues. When I travel I usually have three sets of regs and rebreather plus camera gear all checked in and have no issues with missing gear.

Reactions: Doc
I like to carry my regs with me so I know I have them at my destination. I only had to pull them out once for a quick visual inspection but overall no issues in Japan and Thailand airports.

Hello,

Looking for anyone who had any issues with carrying their regulator set on board and not checking-in their regulator.

I ask because once two of friends weren't "allowed" to carry on their regulators departing from Manila, Philippines. They quickly handed over around $10/person and the airport security guard (right before you enter the boarding area) let them through. This occurred about 1.5-2 years ago.

Since then, we make sure to check-in our regulators when departing Manila so that we don't have to deal with having to pay a "regulator check-in fee" to the airport security...

But I'm constantly near the 20KG limit so I'm trying to see how likely this occurs to people, especially outside Philippines.

Thank you.

Hmm, That's interesting..... I currently live in Manila and regularly travel back and forth to the US. I have always had my reg set and dive computer in my carry on and never had a problem. In fact, over the past 3 years, I have only had my reg set removed for inspection once in SFO. Sometimes the US TSA agents will ask a co-worker "hey, this is scuba regulator right? Ah ok" with never a comment to me. But this Manila security "fee" sounds like BS to me. (Not your account of it, I believe you, I mean the practice of them extorting you). I've been here long enough to know to always ask for a superior's opinion.

Technically it is NOT permitted in Philippines. But just like bottle of water sometimes you get through sometimes you don't. It is all depend on the person who is looking at the X-ray monitor.
Anyway, I never found the need to put it in the hand-carry.

And that's exactly what is so troubling about it.... a complete lack of consistency. On one hand, these guys/gals are supposed to be insuring the safety of our flight, but on the other hand their consistency score is pretty low LOL. And come on Philippines, I cannot buy an unopened bottle of water right next to gate security and bring it?? *rolls eyes* Sorry guys, rant over LOL.

BTW, it appears that the Philippine "TSA" and Philippine Airlines are both still operating on the 2005 US TSA rules....

Hmm, That's interesting..... I currently live in Manila and regularly travel back and forth to the US. I have always had my reg set and dive computer in my carry on and never had a problem. In fact, over the past 3 years, I have only had my reg set removed for inspection once in SFO. Sometimes the US TSA agents will ask a co-worker "hey, this is scuba regulator right? Ah ok" with never a comment to me. But this Manila security "fee" sounds like BS to me. (Not your account of it, I believe you, I mean the practice of them extorting you). I've been here long enough to know to always ask for a superior's opinion.

And that's exactly what is so troubling about it.... a complete lack of consistency. On one hand, these guys/gals are supposed to be insuring the safety of our flight, but on the other hand their consistency score is pretty low LOL. And come on Philippines, I cannot buy an unopened bottle of water right next to gate security and bring it?? *rolls eyes* Sorry guys, rant over LOL.

BTW, it appears that the Philippine "TSA" and Philippine Airlines are both still operating on the 2005 US TSA rules....

I bet knowing a little tagalog would go a long way.

I’ve had two times that I’ve had to remove hoses at the request of airport security. Not a big deal as I’d been told it was a possibility so had a couple of tools and port plugs in my carry on just in case. It seems a bit random as I’ve been through the same airport multiple times and not had that issue as well. Something about being able to swing them around and use them as a weapon.
Well that would be a hassle to take care of at airport security. It's hassle enough putting belt and shoes on, repacking laptop etc. Did this happen at your home airport in NZ?

@D_Fresh
I was present when my buddy paid the security guard the bribe to allow him to take his regulator in this carry-on.

Also, we (like 5 guys) have taken bottled water(open and unopened) from our resort on to the airplane many time at Manila...

Like you said, it seems their consistency is waaaaay off. You never know what you're gonna get. ha ha

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom