Regulator in carry on baggage, anyone had any issues at security?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ladra

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

Looking for anyone who had any issues with carrying their regulator set on board and not checking-in their regulator.

I ask because once two of friends weren't "allowed" to carry on their regulators departing from Manila, Philippines. They quickly handed over around $10/person and the airport security guard (right before you enter the boarding area) let them through. This occurred about 1.5-2 years ago.

Since then, we make sure to check-in our regulators when departing Manila so that we don't have to deal with having to pay a "regulator check-in fee" to the airport security...

But I'm constantly near the 20KG limit so I'm trying to see how likely this occurs to people, especially outside Philippines.

Thank you.

Seems that's the norm over in that part of the world. Here, from NA to SA I've always carried on my Regs....no issues whatsoever.

Visual inspection by TSA, I understand... But if you had to "pay" the TSA to let you through, that would be a different story. It never happens in US but I'm interested in other parts of the world.

Thanks again for your comments.

I've never had an issue in the US, Mexico, Grenada, the Caymans, or Belize. In Indonesia we had a concierge so customs and security were just a walk through.

I just flew to Hawaii. One reg set in my laptop backpack and one reg set in my duffle bag. Zero issues going either direction. This is my only experience so not a good sample size. But it was what I expected and hoped for.

Depends on the TSA agent, some recognize them and others don't. Might lead to a quick visual inspection of your bag. Throw in your dive mask/snorkel and it usually clicks when they see those items.

I have no problems in either Thailand or Cebu, Phillipines.

When going from Cebu to Thailand they had me to check in my tools, but not the regulators.

Technically it is NOT permitted in Philippines. But just like bottle of water sometimes you get through sometimes you don't. It is all depend on the person who is looking at the X-ray monitor.
Anyway, I never found the need to put it in the hand-carry.

We always hand carry our regulators and have never had a problem flying through the US, Germany, Greece, Spain, and Cancun. Your pal flying through Manila may have had a one off looking for cash. All Tsa agents we have encountered in Florida, Illinois, Texas, and Georgia no longer ask for a visual check. I just let the folks know we have diving gear and it clicks for the agents screening.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom