Regulator in carry on baggage, anyone had any issues at security?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's not a one-off in the Philippines, it's a known rule for some years now. (The part about not carrying on regs - not the "fee".) And as with all airport rules anywhere, YMMV. OP sounds to me like a security guard taking advantage of a situation to make a buck.

I don't recall at the moment anyplace else with that rule, and haven't had a problem (a reg in carry-on may inspire an inspection, but not often, especially any airport they're used to seeing dive gear.) However, most airlines other than US carriers (and of course also small planes) tend to have much smaller limits on carry-on weight/size, making it difficult to carry on a reg if you want to have much else in your carry-on anyway.

Last edited:
Your question has two çomponents.

1) No. Regulators are simply not in the prohibited category. How their TSA decides to apply the "blunt instrument" restriction is capricious and vindictive, so be nice. That said...There is also absolutely NO reason to carry on a regulator. They are inherently bulletproof and are actually not worth stealing for resale. Plain fact, but forever unbelieved by the readers of the Internet. Urban myth, old wives tales. Check them, as do truly experienced dive travelers. Or these threads will continue to appear.

2) The Philippines "final check" station? Yes, unfortunately I too have had that shakedown numerous times. The ladies at that station are masters of manipulation and extraction. The Philippines offers great diving at very reasonable prices but the few government employee interactions that you must suffer? Corruption, entitlement and bald faced bribery seems to be the norm, yet I return often.

Last edited:
Here's an official looking document of the Republic of Philippines, Department of Transportation and Communications from 2015 that specifically prohibits scuba equipment in carry-on bags. See section E. So we can stop speculating whether this was an actual rule or just corrupt security agents creating arbitrary rules for profit.

http://ots.gov.ph/images/memos/mc-2015-02.pdf

In the meantime, I’ll see if I can find something more current.

OP’s friend who ”had to pay” to get it through sounds like corruption.

Last edited:
They are inherently bulletproof and are actually not worth stealing for resale. Plain fact, but forever unbelieved by the readers of the Internet. Urban myth, old wives tales. Check them, as do truly experienced dive travelers. Or these threads will continue to appear.

This seems like an interestingly over qualified statement. If the airlines keep stats on what is most often stolen, that would be some excellent data. Maybe you are in the airline business?

It might make sense to claim that luggage of any kind is rarely stolen. Seems a bit more interesting to claim that criminals avoid dive gear carte blanche. I have seen some incredibly expensive reg sets that I would never trust to checked bags. I dang sure am not going to tell others to put their expensive gear in checked bags while I have no skin in their game.

I stowed mine in my carry on for a trip to the Bahamas several years ago. I was stopped leaving Atlanta, leaving Nassau and when I arrived back in Atlanta. Every time they asked what were the hoses for in my bag. I’ll always put them in my checked baggage from now on, it’s not worth the aggravation of it happening again. They’re doing their job so I’ll save them the hassle next time and check them.

The first time I traveled with dive gear, I put it all in my checked baggage on the way to Coz so did the same thing on the way home. I remember putting it in my reg bag packing up to come home and my buddy remembers it, too. But somewhere between there and home, my reg set got "lost". My reg bag made it as did everything else in it, just not my reg set. So I carry it on since then. No problems so far.

I put my regs, dive computer, mask, BCD and other items in my carry-on. While most of that stuff could take a licking and keep on ticking, I don't want to deal with a lost bag or anything being stolen. Sure, it may not be worth a lot on the used market (with the exception of the dive computer), I don't want to trust the thieves to know the value of everything they steal.

Traveled to St. Lucia, Cancun, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Belize, Costa Rica, Turks & Caicos and other places with only a mention of "do you have dive gear in here?". When I say, "yes" they just hand the bag to me. No looking.

It's not the issue of "worth stealing" Given the replacement cost for a first stage, second stage, octopus, console +/- computer, as well as the PITA of going shopping when you reach a destination, I always carry my reg and computer on board. Have never had a problem in Canada, US, Mexico, Caribbean or Central America. Security will sometimes want a look but have always allowed me to carry on.
I also carry on my camera case ( when I can ) and prescription mask.

I’ve had two times that I’ve had to remove hoses at the request of airport security. Not a big deal as I’d been told it was a possibility so had a couple of tools and port plugs in my carry on just in case. It seems a bit random as I’ve been through the same airport multiple times and not had that issue as well. Something about being able to swing them around and use them as a weapon.

Back
Top Bottom