Question Pelagic Pressure Systems or Shearwater (the Swift) transmitter failures

Cause of Pelagic Pressure Systems or Shearwater (the Swift) transmitter failures

• No failure, own Pelagic Pressure Systems transmitter(s)

Votes: 39 66.1%
  • Yes, PPS presumed over pressure valve

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Yes, PPS flood presumed battery hatch

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, PPS, presumed hardware failure

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • Yes, PPS, other, designate in post

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • No failure, own Shearwater transmitter(s)

Votes: 21 35.6%
  • Yes, SW presumed over pressure valve

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • Yes, SW flood presumed transmitter body

• Yes, SW presumed hardware failure

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Yes, SW other, designate in post

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I voted no problems on two transmitters. But PPS transmitter reliability is something I just don't worry about. I check my pressure frequently during a dive, have a pretty good handle on my SAC, have a backup plan in case of failure, and carry a spare SPG in my gear bag.
I don't know anything about the over pressure valve, but could failures be exacerbated by riding in unpressurized airplane compartments?

I own one PPS and one Swift. I've not had a failure of either transmitter to date.

Swift transmitter died. A small drop of water transmitted side of the HP hose (using a spool) so I entered mine as presumed flooding. I'll update if I get more details from Dive-tronix.

Between dives, kitted up and ready to go, heard a distinctive pop and a moment later continuous whoosh of air around my first stage. It turned out to be my swift transmitter. SW sent a free replacement and all is right in the world once again.

2 swift, 2 pps transmitters. no failures 300+ dives.

TBD on whether my issue was the original transmitter or the Teric. Had the same issue with the new transmitter, so the Teric is now back with DiveTronix.

TBD on whether my issue was the original transmitter or the Teric. Had the same issue with the new transmitter, so the Teric is now back with DiveTronix.
Hi @Rearviewmirror

I read your post from Aug 15th, what was the final outcome of that?

This is a second problem with another transmitter? Exactly how is the problem manifest? Please update us with the outcome.

I have been using PPS transmitters for a long time. I had one transmitter that was probably a hardware failure and one that was almost certainly a failure of the over pressure valve. As these were both Oceanic brand, though quite old, they were replaced under the Oceanic/Huish service policy for $120 each.

I have also had 2 failures to display pressure on my Teric, where the pressure was still shown on my Oceanic VT3, demonstrating that the transmitter was still functional. In these cases, it was a failure of the Teric antenna. Without a 2nd AI computer, a clue would be that the Teric and transmitter would still pair when in direct contact but lose pairing when a few inches apart. There is a discussion of this in the Teric repair and replacement thread Teric owners, have you required repair or replacement service?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom