Petrel 3 Failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any divecan units I have seen maintain the last setpoint when the controller fails or comes unplugged. They don't drop to low setpoint.
This might be year-dependent, but there are real-world accounts of JJ-CCRs with dead batteries going down to low setpoint.

After 50-100 hours on the HUDs I've had, we basically just unplug them when not in use, as they love to turn themselves on randomly even after a thorough soak and drying.

The blinky pill is really just a gateway to the amazing NERD, although the NERD does not serve as a mini buddy light like the binky can.

I hope they do release the bone conduction mouthpiece model soon. Resistance is futile
View attachment 861772
Except that the Nerd2 is poorly engineered and fails between yearly and biannually as a result of either the attachment of the depth sensor to the case or the connector itself. If they fixed said issues and added an in unit vibration, it very well might achieve great.

Signed,
Been there, sold it or threw it out.

Except that the Nerd2 is poorly engineered and fails between yearly and biannually as a result of either the attachment of the depth sensor to the case or the connector itself. If they fixed said issues and added an in unit vibration, it very well might achieve great.

Signed,
Been there, sold it or threw it out.
Have not had a single failure on my NERD2 over 3 years and 150h of use. I hope it's not just luck

This might be year-dependent, but there are real-world accounts of JJ-CCRs with dead batteries going down to low setpoint.
Interesting. I wonder if this is a recent update. I have only personally had one complete controller failure during a dive. It maintained 1.2 for the remainder of my dive.

I've experienced one Petrel 2 failure, and heard about several NERD2 issues/failures that required service due to depth sensor or burned out displays. The latter is user fault.

In any case, I am considering Shearwater alternatives.

I don't think that I've ever had a dive computer brand that did NOT have a failure. I've used Shearwater, Suunto, Cochran, Uwatec and every brand had some issue at some time. These devices lead a rough life and will need service and repair/replacement from time to time. Battery issues, sensor failures, electronics issues, etc. And then you drop or damage them on occasion. :(

I'm sticking with Shearwater because I know they will service and support their products for a long time, and they make if very easy to access support. Certainly in the US/Canada, they do a great job.

Any divecan units I have seen maintain the last setpoint when the controller fails or comes unplugged. They don't drop to low setpoint.
My experience on the Prism was that with a controller failure (flood) the unit reverted to low setpoint 0.7, not the last setpoint 1.3 ~200fsw Just as a point of reference

I don't think that I've ever had a dive computer brand that did NOT have a failure. I've used Shearwater, Suunto, Cochran, Uwatec and every brand had some issue at some time. These devices lead a rough life and will need service and repair/replacement from time to time. Battery issues, sensor failures, electronics issues, etc. And then you drop or damage them on occasion. :(

I'm sticking with Shearwater because I know they will service and support their products for a long time, and they make if very easy to access support. Certainly in the US/Canada, they do a great job.

Agreed. NOTHING work 100% of the time, its all about how the issues are handled. I think Shearwater could have handled this situation better since they have known about it for quite some time and then botched the public release, but in the end they are standing behind their product and repairing every device out there.

Just lifted this from the Shearwater Service Bulletin

For P3 setpoint controllers for rebreathers, the SOLO (solenoid oxygen control board) is in control. In the unlikely event of a P3 loss of power, the SOLO will default to the low PP02 setpoint of 0.7 and will continue to provide oxygen to the rebreather. The diver can bail out of the emergency using back-up monitor (HUD or handset) and back-up decompression computer (either backup monitor or SA handset).

I don't think it is entirely correct. Try fixing Petrel 2. Shearwater's success in NA market is mostly due to Richard from Divetronix. I am actually concerned about Shearwater's ownership. Few good things come out when private equity gets involved.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom