Petrel 3 Failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agreed. NOTHING work 100% of the time, its all about how the issues are handled. I think Shearwater could have handled this situation better since they have known about it for quite some time and then botched the public release, but in the end they are standing behind their product and repairing every device out there.
I had my Petrel3 fail in April/May this year and they did not know about the problem then. DiveTronix told me that SW wanted my computer sent back to them for investigation. So as far as I know, they have only realized that there was a problem since early summer, and perhaps took a bit more time to decide what to do about it.

I had my Petrel3 fail in April/May this year and they did not know about the problem then. DiveTronix told me that SW wanted my computer sent back to them for investigation. So as far as I know, they have only realized that there was a problem since early summer, and perhaps took a bit more time to decide what to do about it.

That is not what I was told, but I don't have first hand knowledge so I'm not going to argue. I do have first hand knowledge that a dealer note was sent out days prior to a customer note and NONE of the dive centers were able to preform repairs on customer devices when they made the announcement, that may have changed this week but I'm not in the position to be without my Petrel 3 right now and DiveTronix isn't going to fix any devices the month of October due to vacation so I'm not going to send it in until this winter. That communication could have been done better.

Haha yup or until your @Shearwater HUD fails. I am on my 3rd HUD now

My dive buddy really impressed with his @Shearwater HUD as he watched it slowly fill with water on deco.

View attachment 861627
When I first saw the design using o-rings I immedately worried, and what you wrote conforms my worries. I thought the original Smithers HUD on the Meg was great. Then again, today's wet connectors can save a trip...

crappy Shearwater HUD
What makes you say that? I've had a few Shearwater HUDS I use in a cave environment over several years and never a problem.

What makes you say that? I've had a few Shearwater HUDS I use in a cave environment over several years and never a problem.
I carry a spare HUD on the boat. They seem to flood and fail regularly.

As per @Tracy comment below

I carry a spare HUD on the boat. They seem to flood and fail regularly.

Ask any instructor that teaches on a unit that uses Sheatwater HUD's or just ask Shearwater them selves. It is a know fact that they tend to fail. JJ even now has a new goofy holder for them to help reduce them from cracking.

As per @Tracy comment below

Ask any instructor that teaches on a unit that uses Sheatwater HUD's or just ask Shearwater them selves. It is a know fact that they tend to fail. JJ even now has a new goofy holder for them to help reduce them from cracking.
On the plus side, Richard is great about getting them replaced and one spare on the boat fits most of the units on the market.

Are you guys distinguising between the original SW HUDs in the analog controllers from the current Canbus ones with o-ring sealed buttons?

Are you guys distinguising between the original SW HUDs in the analog controllers from the current Canbus ones with o-ring sealed buttons?
It is the new HUDs that are failing regularly.

Brand new nerd2 flooded on dive 2
Got a replacement, battery shows low voltage after 3 hours of use waiting I hear back from sw

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom