Swift Transmitters - lesson learned

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are there known fixes? Even if Shearwater replaces them after failure, it is a bit uncomfortable to start a trip knowing there is a significant chance of this happening half way through.
Slight, not significant. Thousands of dives every day throughout the world are done with SW transmitters and they aren't all failing. Slow roll your air on and don't slam it and you shouldn't experience this. It's the same thing with not slamming the air on with a brass and glass, just not good

• Bullseye!
Reactions: L13
A bit old-school, but I still use the old grey Aqualung transmitter with an old (pre-Swift) yellow Shearwater transmitter. These transmit at different times, don't seem to suffer from the Swift problems and are also cheaper.

The SPG is a great invention.
Alas it doesn't record gas consumption for later review in your dive logs.

You wouldn't know but some people can figure out their gas consumption without the help of gimmicky gear.
Of course.

I go to the Shearwater Cloud applications (phone, tablet, Mac) and pick any of my dives and it shows the start and end pressure, plus the graph of consumption, clearly showing where I've been overweighted and using the wing.

I guess you write that all down after each dive?

More importantly the O2 & Dil pressures show in my Nerd and should they go out of specification there'll be a nice yellow warning. Just had a roll-off and didn't check; the Nerd shouts a warning message.

The other benefit is there's fewer dangly things hanging off my rig to catch on the wreck/cave or stand the unit on the HP hoses...

AI reduces task loading. I use transmitters on my rebreather (NERD and two Perdix AIs - I have two, so why not use them?).

Also nice for photographers who can glance at their wrists and check their cylinder pressure(s).

Power brakes and steering aren't absolutely necessary, just nice to haves.

Since I switched to AI, I've had 2 SPG failures and one AI failure. Shrug. (anecdotal observations are not statistically significant, but anywho)

I guess you write that all down after each dive?
Why would I write it down? I haven't checked my SAC rate in 10 years. If it goes up or down by a liter, it doesn't matter.

... clearly showing where I've been overweighted and using the wing.
What!?
I know when I'm overweight and when I use my wing... because I'm there when it happens. I don't need a graph to show me after the dive. This is such a nonsensical point... it's hard to believe it's meant to be serious point.

You can't help yourself, can you?
Look who's talking, our resident 'scientist'. 🤣

I have two, so why not use them?).
I also have two transmitters for my ccr in box somewhere... they're ok... it's a gimmik that needs batteries and that needs to be send overseas to get fixed. Whatever butters your crumpet.

Power brakes and steering aren't absolutely necessary, just nice to haves.
You must have never driven a car without power streering and a brake booster than. It's a day and night difference.

You must have never driven a car without power streering and a brake booster than. It's a day and night difference.
My dad's 1984 bare bones toyota pickup truck! He never whined about it. Neither did I. Maybe a difference in physical strength?

Easy to replace batteries on transmitters, at least the old Aqualung ones that I've replaced the batteries. I'll admit I haven't had to replace the batteries of my SW ones yet.

Back
Top Bottom