Teric owners, have you required repair or replacement service?

Teric owners, have you required repair or replacemant service?

• No

Votes: 82 45.6%
  • Yes, repair

Votes: 34 18.9%
  • Yes, replacement

Votes: 16 8.9%
  • Yes, multiple repair and/or replacement

Votes: 38 21.1%
  • Other, see post

Votes: 10 5.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Got my Teric in November 2020, no issues with it - works beautifully!

Just a positive comment to offset (a little) the poor experiences others have had.

I hope you are represented in the poll
@scubadada It would be fun to ask Shearwater how many Terics have been sold; I suspect your poll is hearing from most of those with battery problems but just a small fraction of the owners.

@scubadada It would be fun to ask Shearwater how many Terics have been sold; I suspect your poll is hearing from most of those with battery problems but just a small fraction of the owners.
Yes. I assumed that members who had problems with their Teric(s) would preferentially be reporting them on SB. I thought that this poll might bring out a more balanced response, including those who had a trouble free experience.

Participation in the thread has been lower than I would have thought, and the percentage with a trouble free experience has been less than I expected.

Between Shearwater and Dive-Tronix, we could have a pretty good idea of the answer to the question in the US. I can pretty safely say that we will not have that information. I would also be interested in the distribution of problems, battery, AI, screen, other...

Ok, so here is the circuit board and antenna from my Teric. When the antenna fails, I'm told both have to be replaced, as the antenna is attached at the factory. Repair would be impossible or require a microscope. The circuit board appears very sophisticated, with components neatly attached. The antenna seems relatively crude and appears to be secured, attached with something like silicon seal. I've heard there's something like 25 feet of the very, very fine copper wire making up the antenna.

1633207950759.png

1633207989393.png

Ok, so here is the circuit board and antenna from my Teric. When the antenna fails, I'm told both have to be replaced, as the antenna is attached at the factory. Repair would be impossible or require a microscope. The circuit board appears very sophisticated, with components neatly attached. The antenna seems relatively crude and appears to be secured, attached with something like silicon seal. I've heard there's something like 25 feet of the very, very fine copper wire making up the antenna.

View attachment 684874

View attachment 684876

Any hints on the country of origin for the board? I know that Shearwaters are "made" in Canada, but that kind of assembly is pretty sophisticated. It would be interesting to see a Perdix main board.

I'm not surprised there is a lot of wire on that antenna. After all, the wavelength of 38kHz radio waves in water is almost 6km. Even 8m of wire is just a tiny tiny stub.

I'm not surprised there is a lot of wire on that antenna. After all, the wavelength of 38kHz radio waves in water is almost 6km. Even 8m of wire is just a tiny tiny stub.

It's an inductive antenna.

So, it has dawned on me that Oceanic has had watch size computers for many years, the Atom series and now the OCi. I have never heard of antenna problems, have you?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom