Teric owners, have you required repair or replacement service?

Teric owners, have you required repair or replacemant service?

• No

Votes: 82 45.3%
  • Yes, repair

Votes: 35 19.3%
  • Yes, replacement

Votes: 16 8.8%
  • Yes, multiple repair and/or replacement

Votes: 38 21.0%
  • Other, see post

Votes: 10 5.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, it has dawned on me that Oceanic has had watch size computers for many years, the Atom series and now the OCi. I have never heard of antenna problems, have you?
Who said there was an antenna problem?

Who said there was an antenna problem?
That's what i heard from Dive-Tronix, The fact that the computer would connect when in direct contact with the transmitter and then disconnect when a few inches away, may support that. I suppose it could be some kind of circuit board problem. Why are you arguing the point? Is there something else you have to offer?

That's what i heard from Dive-Tronix, The fact that the computer would connect when in direct contact with the transmitter and then disconnect when a few inches away, may support that. I suppose it could be some kind of circuit board problem. Why are you arguing the point? Is there something else you have to offer?
I am not arguing. You showed a picture of an antenna. Cool. You commented on how much wire was on it. I commented a lot less than the wavelength of the signal it was listening to; just an intersting fact. Then you started mentioning antenna problems, and I asked where that had come from, who was talking about antenna problems? Apparently I missed some post you had about your connection problems and it being due to the antenna?

While the issue might be overblown, I am getting sick of while pulling my Terics out of the case, wondering "Do I have a good battery or not?"

:popcorn: and we didn't know this about non-replaceable batteries until teric came along...

:popcorn: and we didn't know this about non-replaceable batteries until teric came along...

Well, you did, because you're a Super Genius. Unfortunately, the rest of us are just dumb.

Well, you did, because you're a Super Genius. Unfortunately, the rest of us are just dumb.

I did because I've owned any number of household electronic devices powered by rechargeable batteries over many years. One of the ones I currently own has a sealed 18650 and it's very annoying that I can't send the manufacturer a copy of my Super Genius certificate and get a custom-made replaceable battery version.

(It's a very high-drain application where an average xxFire crap will likely do just that and burn the house down. It's also the application that impairs the user's judgement -- all fully legal in my jurisdiction of course -- so I can understand why they did it this way. It doesn't make it any less annoying though: surely the SuperGenius me would never ever accidentally stick an UIltraFire in there. (Yes I do have one or two from "batteries included" flashlight purchases.))

Ok, so here is the circuit board and antenna from my Teric. When the antenna fails, I'm told both have to be replaced, as the antenna is attached at the factory. Repair would be impossible or require a microscope. The circuit board appears very sophisticated, with components neatly attached. The antenna seems relatively crude and appears to be secured, attached with something like silicon seal. I've heard there's something like 25 feet of the very, very fine copper wire making up the antenna.

View attachment 684874

View attachment 684876
Wonder if that’s an inductive charging coil rather than antenna. Seems like it to me. Is there a coil on the back of the case back?

I have a ton of non-user replaceable batteries, the Teric is the only one I don't trust.

Wonder if that’s an inductive charging coil rather than antenna. Seems like it to me. Is there a coil on the back of the case back?
I'm under the impression that it is the antenna, but do not know for sure. Richard Morton told me that the circuit board and antenna come together from the manufacturer. Aside from being sent the circuit board after this repair, I have not seen the inside of a Teric.

I've been corresponding this week with Shearwater about Teric battery issues. Something they just sent me was very surprising to me. They said:

The Compass and AI do have a slight battery draw even when not in Dive mode or turned off.

To be honest, that's not just surprising. That is shocking, to me. I cannot fathom why a Teric would have additional battery draw when turned Off, based on having the compass or AI turned on for use in Dive mode.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom